Technically any good? I found M. Night's use of wide shots interesting, but they obscured the performances of the actors too much. The script created characters that were about as interesting as my left foot (not the movie, my actual left foot). Once I realized that the movie was about this love affair that inspires a murder and not about what's outside the village, I realized this was just like every other M. Night movie.
How did I feel as the credits rolled? Unsurprised. I now expect to be misled with the advertising of the next M. Night movie. Just like SIXTH SENSE was not about a kid who could see dead people (it was about a dead guy), UNBREAKABLE was not about a guy who was invulnerable (it was a comic book movie), and SIGNS was anything BUT a scifi movie (it was about a "crisis" of faith), likewise, THE VILLAGE is not what it seems. It's also not a good movie. You basically sit around waiting to find out what you've already predicted. Since what M. Night gives us while we wait isn't terribly interesting, there is no point in seeing this movie.
Final Rating? DNS (Don't even see it for the worthless cameo by the director, himself. He's practically out of frame for the whole scene he's in and CAN'T ACT even then!)
No comments:
Post a Comment