Saturday, January 26, 2008

OK, Zoho won't import my 1.1MB...

OK, Zoho won't import my 1.1MB rtf file either. How was I able to write this thing on Google Docs in the first place??

4 comments:

  1. Pete : Our apologies. Zoho Writer usually imports 1.1 MB files easily. May be the file having some specific text formatting has something to do with this. Can you please email us the file? It will allow us to analyze what the issue might be and help fix it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but I usually don't just email my novel to people :) Unless they're lit agents or publishers.

    I don't think the issue was specifically the size, all I know for sure is that it wouldn't load. The other day I made an attempt to edit it when I had previously uploaded a copy of the same manuscript (this one in Word format) and Zoho Writer wouldn't save the work I had done, so I had to select all and paste it into an RTF file, losing all of the formatting--I use italics a lot.

    Basically, I've learned that there aren't online word processing services that are reliable enough to trust my novels to. I know I'm not Stephen King, but my work matters to me and if I can't save my work every single time and can't upload the second most basic format of file (RTF) I just can't trust it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the detailed reply, Pete. I didn't know the document was your novel, sorry. We will test our importing functionality for RTF files of 1 MB & more.

    Philipp Lenssen has started writing his book in Google Docs. And Craig Cmehil of SAP has almost completed his book in Zoho Writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, Arvind--apologies if I came off too sarcastically. I'm definitely aware of people writing novels online, because I wrote the first draft of the novel I have been talking about on Google Docs. I think the problem may be when word processor sites try to improve in ways that add features, but also cause their existing services to become unstable in other ways. I understand the urge to push more features, but sometimes doing one thing really well is the best route to providing a good product.

    Thanks for your personal attention, though, Arvind! I really do appreciate it! I have to admit when I posted on Twitter about it, I wasn't expecting anyone to comment when it cross-posted to my site. So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete