Ironically, I read about this on my iPhone, which I had no real trouble picking up last Friday. Sure, the AT&T store I went to first was sold out before the line of about a hundred even made it in the door, but after making it to the 5th Ave Apple store and standing in line for three hours, I had my iPhone. Another 40 minutes later, my iPhone was activated and I was out of the store.
Sure, it could have been smoother but what do you want? It's the frakkin iPhone! You think there was demand like this for the RAZR?
So, it's now been two full days since I got mine and I must say that it's pretty damn cool. I loathe adding to the hype-machine, but the iPhone really is an amazing little thing. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it sure does some kick-ass stuff.
Oh, did I mention that this post was:
"Sent from my iPhone"
?
Mobile post sent by thepete using Utterz. Sure, it could have been smoother but what do you want? It's the frakkin iPhone! You think there was demand like this for the RAZR?
So, it's now been two full days since I got mine and I must say that it's pretty damn cool. I loathe adding to the hype-machine, but the iPhone really is an amazing little thing. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it sure does some kick-ass stuff.
Oh, did I mention that this post was:
"Sent from my iPhone"
?
I picked up the iPod Touch earlier this year, and it may be the handiest device I own. I used to brag of my Swiss Army knife: "Not a day goes by I don't use it for something." The same could be said of my Touch. And I haven't upgraded to 2.0 or tricked it out with new aps!
ReplyDelete(I would've gone with the iPhone, but I'm married to Verizon.)
Ah, cool--so even without the 3G and before the App Store it was pretty useful, then?
ReplyDeleteI'm considering what to do after my first month of AT&T. I hate being on contract to any carrier, so my initial plan was to cancel after 30 days and then pay the Early Termination Fee of $175 (which is still cheaper than the $600 Apple wanted for the contract-free 8GB iPhone), but AT&T seems pretty reliable in the city, so I just might stick with them.
Still, if you're happy with your Touch over wifi, maybe that's not a bad way to go--it would be hella cheaper than the $70/mo AT&T wants from me. Do you find open wifi networks are common enough though?
I do find wifi. I was shocked to discover wifi in a dive bar a few months ago. It's funny though. Starbucks and Coffee Bean both have some sort of pay-as-you-go service, but most indie coffee shops offer the same thing for free.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first learned of the iPhone I was shocked that no one up to that point had thought to make wifi an option for web-enabled phones. It's so obvious, in retrospect.
Cool--as an experiment the other night, I swapped my iPhone's sim card out for the sim card on my Sidekick 3 and found that it didn't work (not too surprised) but I did discover that the wifi and GPS works still, so after I get past that first month I just might jump ship from AT&T. Unless my employment situation improves. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd yeah, I don't know about Coffee Bean, but Starbucks has a deal with AT&T and Apple. Luckily, they do allow 2 hours free wifi per day assuming you have a Starbucks rewards card. Not a huge pain in the ass, but still an annoying hoop.
As for wifi-enabled phones, I don't think the iPhone/Touch was/were the first to have wifi, but I do think they were among the first. It's not too surprising that it's taken this long to become more commonplace since wifi phones ultimately have the power to wipe out a good portion of cellphone business. Why pay for a full wireless plan when you can walk an extra few blocks to make a call for pennies a minute--or even for free?
It's a changing world!!
It's also great for surreptitiously checking your e-mail and whatnot around the office.
ReplyDelete... and I'm upgrading to 2.0 at present. Have to get that free lightsaber app installed!
ReplyDeleteHaha, that was one of the first apps I downloaded and I even got challenged to a virtual dual by an Apple Store employee, only it was too loud outside the store, so I politely declined (I mean, what's the point if you can't *hear* the sabers?)
ReplyDeleteI'm also starting to get into the habit of checking the top 25 (and 50) free downloaded apps list in the App Store every day. Just grabbed a simple drawing program called Scribble.
And I agree about checking the email--now, if I'm on the couch, I just check my mail on the iPhone rather than making the "difficult" 15-foot journey to my desk. :P