Wednesday, January 28, 2009

ThePete's iPhone Page 2 20090125


Back on the 25th, I posted the first of many screncaps of my iPhone's home screens. Here is page 2 of my iPhone.

The top row are mostly obvious--you want your calendar and clock handy at all times. Same goes for your camera app and you photo album (I never know when I'll have to break out the wedding photos or show off some of my custom toy designs). The only unusual app in the top row is MyLite--it's just a simple app that turns your iPhone into a flashlight. Very handy.

The next row are also apps I use a lot. The Maps app is indispensible in a city like New York. Damn thing even usurps HopStop.com's usefulness and can give you public transportation routes now. Too damn useful for words.

Speaking of public transportation, the next app on row two, called City Transit, is a subway map for NYC and also syncs advisories with the NYC MTA's website. Very cool.

"Wund NYC" is a bookmark to the iPhone-formatted weather forecast for NYC at Wunderground.com, my prefered weather news source. WiFinder is a basic but effective wifi signal sniffer. It often works better than the iPhone's built-in sniffer and allows you to connect to networks inside the app.

The last app on row two is labelled "Settings" on the screen, but it's real name is "Supreme Preferences" and it's from a guy called iMario. This is another cool thing about having a Jailbroken iPhone--Supreme Prefs gives you a handful of extra things you can control--from changing the carrier name at the top of the screen, to turning on and off iPod controls, to changing calendar settings and more. I definitely recommend this app if you're Jailbroken.

Next up, we have GrandDialer. This app will log you into your GrandCentral.com account and allow you to make calls through your GC number. You tell it what number you want to call (use the keypad or your contacts) and it tells the GC website to call you at what ever phone number you give it, including your iPhone number. Not a perfect app (it doesn't give you access to your favorites and it sometimes fails to log in to GC), but very useful.

iPhone Modem 2 is something I have yet to use. There's a lot of talk about "tethering," or allowing your laptop to connect to your iPhone to share its Internet connection. I have yet to need this service. Of course, I live in a major American city, so there's usually an open wifi network around. If not, I tend to just use my iPhone. I mean, duh.

Evernote! Evernote is one of the most useful apps I have EVER USED. I have it on every single computer I own! Well, except my OLPC XO--I don't think there's a version of Evernote that runs on SugarOS. :) Evernote, if you're not familiar, is a brilliant note-taking app that allows you to sync with a web server so you can share notes across different machines and the Internet. You can post notes from this app, via email, the web or even a desktop client. It's pretty sweet if you're one of those people that is always having good ideas you want to write down.

Dropbox isn't an app (sadly), it's a bookmark for the iPhone-formatted version of the GetDropbox.com service. It's similar to Evernote, but allows you to sync files. So, you install it on your home computer and it puts a Dropbox sub-directory in your user directory (or on any internal drive) and will automatically sync its contents. Anything I need on-the-go I dump into this directory and can then access it inside Safari on my iPhone. Pretty slick. Would prefer it as an app, though. How cool would it be to have it sync files so you could access them locally, on your iPhone without a connection to the web? Very cool.

Finally for row three, we have Nambu. Nambu is a new addition to my iPhone. It allows me to post to and read from my Twitter, FriendFeed, Identi.ca and Ping.fm accounts. Very handy but it asks me if I want to follow Nambu on Twitter every time I star the app, whether I've said yes or no the last time it flashed the alert. INTENSELY annoying. Still, it's the only iPhone client I could find that handles FriendFeed and other services.

Pinger Phone is another newbie to my iPhone. It promises IM services, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace syncing. This is a great featureset but the app is seriously flawed in that it gives too much screenspace to usericons and not enough space for the status updates. So, in order to read most status updates you have to actually click on each one. VERY annoying. It's a shame because Pinger Phone would be really brilliant otherwise.

Finally, we have Pixelpipe--this is the app for the service that will allow you to crosspost media to multiple hosting sites at once. Got an account at Flickr.com and iPernity.com? Pixelpipe can post to both in one fell swoop. It'll also post to video sites (not from the iPhone sadly), blogs and other sites, too. In fact, it's the app I'm using to post my iPhone screencaps :)

So, that's it for now! Just five more screencaps to go! Wahoo! Got any questions about what you're seeing? Just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment