Wednesday, February 27, 2008

TheTechVlog: Seesmic.com Flash Review



Check out this short, first impression review of Seesmic.com that I shot. It gives you and idea of how Seesmic works and how it doesn't and why I'll probably stick to Utterz.com despite the fact that there is at least one feature I like better on Seesmic.

9 comments:

  1. It's unfortunate the only reply you had was from a guy in the middle of nowhere in Brazil with a crappy internet connection - he often has problems posting videos, but it's not to do with seesmic.

    I've used Utterz once and just thought I'd pop back and check it out. They're different beasts really - I think seesmic can be fun and very addictive at times, I've not had that with Utterz yet.

    You should try it out more, you'll be hooked soon enough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and you can post from your mobile - from qik, shozu, and there's a mobile client too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Steve!

    I don't think the problem had to do with him being in the middle of Brazil since the video wouldn't play at all. If it had played but was choppy, I'd probably have blamed my own computer since, despite it's ability to handle video generally, it still chokes on Flash videos every once in a while.

    I do agree that both Utterz and Seesmic are different, but I think I'd largely use them for similar purposes--to make friends and share videos, audio and text. Thing is, Seesmic only does videos--which is great if that's all you want to share.

    And thanks for mentioning about how you can post from mobile phones--I think I mention in the video that there's no obvious way to do that. In fact, to do it you have to use another service or download something to your phone. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to listen to Seesmic posts on your mobile.

    I think it's great for folks who want to Twitter with video--I'm sure it's very addictive. In fact, based on seeing all those people in the Seesmic stream I'm positive of that.

    My video is just my opinion. That's how I found Seesmic to be. Other folks may be better at making it work.

    At some point soon, I will try it again for sure. It does seem pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pete,

    Many of Danny's videos are like that, or just get a swear word in cos it cuts out on him!

    After posting my reply to you on utterz, I must admit I didn't like the video quality at all - really poor. I've posted a reply to your post on seesmic so take a look and you'll see the difference.

    I wasn't a video person at all before seesmic but I'm addicted to it now - I guess my way of thinking is it's better to be good at one thing and focus on that. Twitter's good, but they're up and down like a yoyo, which is a shame.

    I'll be checking Utterz more though, it's always good to try different things - utterz hasn't got me addicted yet tho...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just checked out your Seesmic post mentioning my review and I definitely see what you mean about the video quality (anyone else reading can check out Steve's post here: http://www.seesmic.com/Standalone.html?video=sKzCeYE8kQ ). I'm actually pretty impressed--I think Seesmic might be the best quality video I've seen. I can't help but wonder if the quality of the original camera that might help. That's just a theory, of course.

    I also agree with you regarding doing one thing well or a few things not as well. Personally, I don't have trouble with Twitter, but I know others who have, so I can understand that, too. I guess, as with most things, I think it's a trade off. Personally, the cross-posting ability of Utterz keeps me firmly in place over there. That and the friends I've made there. :) I'm sure Seesmic does well for friend-making, too, but I've only given it the one go.

    Thanks for posting about it, though, Steve, both here and on Seesmic (and on your site, Purkiss.com ). Always good to have the dialog going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see what you mean about the text/audio/video/image thing too, and it's been good to check a few things out tonight on utterz, but after using seesmic where I just leave it on autoplay (a little icon on the bottom-left of the video) it seems like a lot of effort.

    It's not really fair to compare I guess - I'm a member of a lot of communities so different people will use different things. My bad ;)

    Anyway, I'm off to bed soon as it's late here in the uk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. dammit, forgot to say i'm just using my normal built-in 1.3mp webcam on the laptop - same as for utterz, no camera trickery!!

    take care,

    s

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, watch this latest one from Danny:

    http://seesmic.com/v/mzfuzxOe8K

    Yes, I know, I said I was going to bed, but... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, go ta bed already!! ;)

    Yeah, different strokes for different folks is how the saying over here goes. Thanks for your thoughts, though. I'll let you know when I try Seesmic out again. The reason I just gave it a quick try the other night was because I had a moment--literally a moment--and that was it. When I can give it a full-on, proper review, I'll be sure to post again about it.

    ReplyDelete