Monday, November 29, 2010

… Many feel the situation has reached crisis proportions. In the academic world, critics have begun to argue that universities are producing and distributing more knowledge than we can actually use. In the recent best-selling book “The Shallows,” Nicholas Carr worries that the flood of digital information is changing not only our habits, but even our mental capacities: Forced to scan and skim to keep up, we are losing our abilities to pay sustained attention, reflect deeply, or remember what we’ve learned. …

…



Many feel the situation has reached crisis proportions. In the academic world, critics have begun to argue that universities are producing and distributing more knowledge than we can actually use. In the recent best-selling book “The Shallows,” Nicholas Carr worries that the flood of digital information is changing not only our habits, but even our mental capacities: Forced to scan and skim to keep up, we are losing our abilities to pay sustained attention, reflect deeply, or remember what we’ve learned.



…


- Ann Blair, Information overload, the early years


A very solid and well-researched examination of the attention overload meme, similar to the themes I discussed in The False Question Of Attention Economics.


(via stoweboyd)



That’s a partial quote—hit the Boston.com link for the rest of it. I just wanted to blog this because I experience this daily. In fact, truth be told, I haven’t even read the entire piece, myself! But hey, at least I’m acknowledging the problem, right? RIGHT? Crap, you’re not reading this anymore, are you? ;(

No comments:

Post a Comment