Sunday, March 6, 2005

BEING THERE (1979)

Positive Experience/Entertaining?? This is was a very funny movie--the original Forrest Gump/World According to Garp. Literally, this movie seems to be the earliest example of a film about a fish that is not only out of water, but perfectly suited to take on the world inadvertantly.
Technically any good? Yes. You know, I'd just about say that this film was very nearly perfect. In fact, I can't think of anything I didn't like about it. Perhaps some of the scenes with the president were a little awkward, but these required only minor stretches of the imagination to buy, in my opinion. Acting-wise, everyone was spot-on. Sellers is brilliant as always and the director does a superb job of marrying subtle humor with subtle satire.
How did it leave me feeling? Good stuff. I'm curious how many other proto-Gumps are out there.
Final Rating? SIYL (See If You like - It's a very subtle and dry film but genuinely entertaining. No explosions, no "big laughs" just good acting and character work.)

No comments:

Post a Comment