It's been my thought for a while that western culture is a little ass-backwards when it comes to a lot of things, video games included. I can't understand why violent video games are so popular yet sexual video games are perverted and wrong. This is thoroughly baffling especially in view of how all those parental groups say violent games make kids violent.
Well, if this is true, shouldn't we have video games that involve healthy relationships involving sex?
I mean, think about it--killing is bad when your an adult or when you're a kid. Once you're an adult, sex is fine. So, shouldn't we teach our kids to have healthy sex? Or better yet, let adults who enjoy sex to enjoy sex in video games for adults?
Well, I shouldn't be surprised from a "culture of life" like ours--a culture that bombs other countries that they imagine as threats. Meanwhile the idea of video games that involve healthy sexual relationships never crosses our minds.
Ironically, the first video game featuring realistic sex acts is best known for it's violence. Not surprisingly the sex acts in this video game don't seem to be healthy, either. What's the video game? Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Check out pictures from the sex scenes but be warned--these pics are definitely R rated.
Now, you need to unlock the sex scenes and there's a lot of scuttlebutt that these scenes weren't ever meant to be seen or played. However, this kind of scene doesn't program itself and only an idiot would think that once one person figured out how to get to the sex scenes the news wouldn't be all over the 'net.
So, this is what it comes to--rather than having video games featuring healthy, but mature adventures that involve sex, we get ultra-violent games that feature sex in a whore's apartment--well, I'm guessing that's what it is--I've never been in a whore's apartment. I almost want to liken it to the argument about abortion--you know, that when you outlaw abortions women wil be forced to have back-alley operations.
Which is better?
So, let's hear it for our backwards-ass culture.
Simulated killing is great!
Simultated sex is horrible!
YIPPEEE!!
erm as far as i am aware these graphic scenes u refer to are not in the coding of the game originally.
ReplyDeleteThey are patches developed by techno geeks out there on the web, who pick at the coding of the initial software give it a few tweaks and put it back in. so in order to see them u wud have to look for them.
now kids will not access these things or be able to view these things if parents exercise proper control, a factor overlooked by most of society today is that when my generation was young we got disciplined if we stepped out of line, knew what we were and weren;t supposed to be looking at.
these days too many kids get to view stuff cos their parents are too busy with themselves to worry about what their children are up to in the bedrom on a pc that the parent themselves wouldn;t probably even know how to switch on! here in lies the problem the kids are too clever!
Well, that could be. However, I don't think you should blame the parents too much--society itself keeps adults pretty damn busy. I mean, I don't even have kids and I find myself constantly working to make ends meet. Save for the two week working vacation my wife and I used to get married during last year, I haven't had a vacation in something like five years. It's getting to the point where I seriously doubt we have enough time to raise the next generation of kids. Parents need to sacrifice more than just their free time after work but any hope of doing more with their lives than simply being wage slaves.
ReplyDeleteHowever, in my opinion, I think we can trust our kids with the idea of sex. It's my belief that if you teach kids properly about sex they'll understand the dangers and most of them will play it safe. The point of this blog entry in the first place was that it is absurd how sex is forbidden in games but violence is encouraged. In short, we trust our kids to not copy what they see in video games as it is--why not teach them about sex--or even better--healthy sex?