Thursday, December 1, 2005

APPLE MAY HELP US WIN THE DVD FORMAT WARS

Remember my post from yesterday regarding Holo, HD and Blu-Ray DVDs and how I would beat them all? I talked about using a Mac Mini, a USB capture card and a couple USB drives to make my own Mac Media Center. Well, it turns out that Apple may already have something like this in mind.

On Tuesday, Engadget.com posted [http://engadget.com/entry/1234000177070149/|a blog entry] that pointed us to [http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511macmini2.html|a post] at ThinkSecret.com, which is a Mac rumor site. Turns out Apple just might be prepping for release in January a new Mac Mini that would have video capturing capabilities and Apple's Front Row media management software out of the box. This would mean I'd have one less thing to buy when I implement my plan to skip past all the mess of moving from one DVD format to another. So, instead of the $1600 price tag I gave it in my other post, it's now going to be more like $1500--hey, $100 is still $100.

Of course, this assumes that the ThinkSecret story is true.

This new Mac Mini would also have a built in iPod dock which would make it even more fun. The only bad thing ThinkSecret mentions about this new machine is that it would be a MacIntel box. Blech.

I hate to sound like a Mac purist, but I don't like that idea. My PowerBook runs like a dream with the processor it's got in there already why take a chance on an Intel?

Still, it would be nice to see Apple claim it's rightful places as the platform for home video wrangling. Mac is, after all, the platform that has boasted superior video capabilities for over a decade. From personal experience in editing video on both Macs and PCs, I know this to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment