Thursday, July 26, 2007

DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)

[asin: B00005JNG5]
Positive Experience/Entertaining? DEFINITELY entertaining. I can understand why this film about insurance fraud, of all things, is considered a classic by so many.


Technically any good? Definitely a strongly made film featuring a fairly unique version of the classic cat & mouse game. Only, the mouse ends up being a close friend of the lead character which only heightens tension. The acting from Fred MacMurray was INCREDIBLE. I wish he had been in more varying stuff as opposed to largely roles like the dad in My Three Sons. I was pretty shocked to see him as such an amoral character. It was great. The writing was incredibly strong and it is the kind of writing I miss so much--you know, GOOD. Edward G. Robinson was very solid, too. Stanwick I could take or leave--I know I'm the freak for saying that, but I just don't see the attraction. She's pretty and all, but I wasn't blown away by her.


How did it leave me feeling? Definitely satisfied, though a slightly more closed ending would have been nice. I can't explain what I mean without giving away the ending. Just see it, it's good.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now! Well, Netflix it now since the odds of this classic showing up at your local multiplex are pretty slim. (You can also click the poster image above to buy it from Amazon.com and support this site in the process!)

No comments:

Post a Comment