It turns out they've got a short stack of retro "cool" digital and analog clocks and are now selling just the innards of a digital clock to folks who want to enter their [http://furni.myshopify.com/products/diy-clock-parts-kit|clock design contest]. The prize? A shot at having your design in their next collection of designy products.
If that doesn't seem like enough of a rip to you, check out how much the DIY clock guts cost: $24.
Yep, for a clock and a wall-wart for power--as many dollars as there are in the day. Seems like another rip, charging that much for items you could score from your nearest corner drug store for about $14 cheaper (and those parts would come in a ready made case and I wouldn't have to pay extra for shipping!).
The good news is that in the fine print of the contest/product page, they say you don't actually have to buy the parts or even build anything. You can enter the contest with a "decent" drawing or sketch.
I was thinking I'd just do that, but then I had a really cool idea for a DIY toy project :) TheWife and I have been thinking about replacing the clock radio in the bathroom... ^_^ .
Damn--totally forgot to make my point! This is how tired I am today... so, the sad thing is that the Furni folks don't want to have to pay for a designer to come up with a bunch of good ideas (or bad ones) and would rather have regular folks work for free. Of course, because of the way all creative industries are, it's hard for even trained, qualified individuals to get work in their chosen field, people are more than willing to do work for free. As I will be, when I design my own retro cool clock and submit pics of it to them before September 1.
Hey, the Summer of Munny contest got canceled this year, so I've got some time on my hands :)
No comments:
Post a Comment