Monday, February 1, 1999

ABC - ALREADY BEEN CANCELLED

I was astounded to discover that the American Broadcasting System canceled two of their newest hour dramas. Now, you must realize that ABC is notorious for canceling shows - really good shows.

You may recall the critically acclaimed MURDER ONE which still has a rabid following. They tend to cut shows before they really have a chance. Such is the case with CUPID and FANTASY ISLAND. Now, I must be honest - FANTASY ISLAND sucked but deserved a shot at an audience. I mean, really - just how many people watch TV at 9pm on a Saturday? Not many - how many of them are going to watch a show that is less than perfect? Even less. So fine, can it, I guess.

But right after FANTASY ISLAND, for a while anyway, was CUPID, a show from the Executive Producers of MOONLIGHTING and DUCKMAN. It was fast, smart and REALLY good, but it was jammed after a sucky remake of an old favorite. No WONDER ratings were less than impressive. But ABC has canceled ALL of their hour dramas except for two. Can you believe that? TWO hour dramas!! And both of those are created by guys who have track records for creating shows that work. But if you're not Stephen Bochco or David E. Kelley, your show won't be given a real shot at success.

So next time you're looking for good new drama on TV, don't bother with ABC, because if it's on ABC, it's probably Already Been Canceled.

No comments:

Post a Comment