Wednesday, September 15, 2004

UN's ANNAN: IRAQ ATTACK ILLEGAL

I can't believe I haven't written about my feelings about the International-legality of the Iraq Attack before now. Over a year ago on my defunct "The 5 Minute Show" I did a whole episode (all 5 minutes!) about how in attacking Iraq, the US broke the UN Charter, which the US helped write. The Iraq Attack also broke Constitutional law, since the US Constitution says that any treaty or agreement the US signs becomes a domestic law, as well. So, not only is George W. Bush an international criminal by definition, he's also a domestic criminal, too.

To be clear, this is not my opinion. International Law and the Constitution are very clear on this. What follows is taken directly from the UN website. It is Chapter 1, Article 2 of the UN Charter and I've bolded (sp??) the important bits:
Article 2
The Organization and its Members, in pursuit of the Purposes stated in Article 1, shall act in accordance with the following Principles.

1. The Organization is based on the principle of the sovereign equality of all its Members.

2. All Members, in order to ensure to all of them the rights and benefits resulting from membership, shall fulfill in good faith the obligations assumed by them in accordance with the present Charter.

3. All Members shall settle their international disputes by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security, and justice, are not endangered.

4. All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

5. All Members shall give the United Nations every assistance in any action it takes in accordance with the present Charter, and shall refrain from giving assistance to any state against which the United Nations is taking preventive or enforcement action.

6. The Organization shall ensure that states which are not Members of the United Nations act in accordance with these Principles so far as may be necessary for the maintenance of international peace and security.

7. Nothing contained in the present Charter shall authorize the United Nations to intervene in matters which are essentially within the domestic jurisdiction of any state or shall require the Members to submit such matters to settlement under the present Charter; but this principle shall not prejudice the application of enforcement measures under Chapter Vll.


1) Since Iraq, even under the rule of Saddam Husein was a sovereign member of the UN, his sovereignty being violated by another member of the UN constitutes a violation of this part of the UN Charter.

3) This is a good one. Basically, by using military force to "settle" a dispute, Bush broke this part of the UN Charter as well.

4) This is the big one and it's clearly been broken by Bush.

George W. Bush is a criminal, by definition.

Finally, someone "important" has grown enough of a spine to state this publically, on the record.

The following excerpt comes from a BBC News article--you can bet you won't be hearing about this in American news:
When pressed on whether he viewed the invasion of Iraq as illegal, [Annan] said: "Yes, if you wish. I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."
Annan is still a raging puss for not standing up to the US and saying something more like "J'ACCUSE!"

I mean, sure, we're the US, but what is the political career of one man? Does Annan really want future historians to look back and scratch their heads wondering whether he was a good guy or not? I wouldn't. That's why I'm such a loudmouth with my opinions.

Of course, as I said, this isn't my opinion, it's a fact.

George W. Bush is a criminal.

Thank you and good night.



From BBC News:
Last Updated: Thursday, 16 September, 2004, 02:12 GMT 03:12 UK

Iraq war illegal, says Annan

The United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has told the BBC the US-led invasion of Iraq was an illegal act that contravened the UN charter.

He said the decision to take action in Iraq should have been made by the Security Council, not unilaterally.

And he feared elections planned for January would not go ahead in Iraq unless security considerably improved.

The UK government responded by saying the attorney-general made the "legal basis... clear at the time".

Mr Annan said that "painful lessons" had been learnt since the war in Iraq.

"Lessons for the US, the UN and other member states. I think in the end everybody's concluded it's best to work together with our allies and through the UN," he said in an interview with the BBC World Service.

'On track'

"I hope we do not see another Iraq-type operation for a long time - without UN approval and much broader support from the international community."

When pressed on whether he viewed the invasion of Iraq as illegal, he said: "Yes, if you wish. I have indicated it was not in conformity with the UN charter from our point of view, from the charter point of view, it was illegal."

Mr Annan said the UN would give advice and assistance in the run-up to the elections, but it was up to the Iraqi interim government to decide whether such a vote should go ahead.

He warned there could not be "credible elections if the security conditions continue as they are now".

In response, a UK foreign office spokeswoman said: "The Attorney-General made the government's position on the legal basis for the use of military force in Iraq clear at the time".

She also said there was a full commitment to holding elections in January, with election and political party laws already passed and an independent electoral commission established.

"The task is huge and the deadline tight, but the Iraqi people clearly want elections," she said.

Earlier on Wednesday, the head of the British army General Sir Mike Jackson said national elections in Iraq were still on track.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "People are pretty confident that they can take place if everybody puts in the required effort and arrangements into it."

His comments came a day after a car bomb close to an Iraqi police station in central Baghdad killed 47 people and gunmen opened fire on a police minibus in Baquba, killing 12.

At the beginning of the week, Iraq's interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said elections must go ahead as planned although he conceded the violence might stop some Iraqis voting.

"If, for any reason, 300,000 people cannot vote because terrorists decide so - and this is imposing a very big if - then frankly 300,000 people is not going to alter 25 million people voting," he told The Times and Guardian newspapers.

"There are problems, yes. But to the point that we can't conduct an election? I don't think so."

Mr Annan also spoke of the Middle East road map to peace during his BBC interview, admitting it was in "deep, deep distress".

But he added "we haven't given it up yet", and said the quartet of powers behind the road map - the US, UN, EU and Russia - would meet next week to assess the situation and how to take it forward.

© BBC MMIV

7 comments:

  1. Do you know of any other anti-Bush sites or blogs, because I too am sick of the political show that plays bush to be a patriot, when hes clearly a criminal. Not only that but I am trying to track down info on memos that british sources leaked wich disclosed the fact the the war was criminal planned since 911. Also a tidbit of info I found is that Bush's no child left behind includes a clause that makes it so schools must send all student info to recourters, it in no specifies the abilty to sustain from the clause, and I find it suspicios that the act had this on it seeing how it was a post 911 act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, while I don't solely blog on how bad Bush is, it is a major topic here at ThePete.com. I find that most other blogs that agree that Bush is bad are hopelessly partisan and think the Democrats are the answer to our hopes--which I believe is NOT the case. As for stuff leaked from the UKGov, I'd suggest checking out what I wrote about the Downing Street Memo/Minutes and read some more follow up by me here and here.

    As for no child left behind, I'm not sure I follow you--can you rephrase that? Sorry--haven't had my morning caffeine yet today... yes, I know it's 1pm on a Sunday :(

    Thanks for posting, though, Robert. I wish I could point you to an antibush blog that I really liked. You can check out TheBlogRoll in my sidebar. Under the "Dailies" section are a few blogs I recommend that may be to your liking. MemoryBlog, Back to Iraq, Raed in the Middle, baghdad Burning, Iraq Dispatches and I think that's it. They all don't like Bush, but most of them are about the Iraquagmire. MemoryBlog deals with news stories that fall through the cracks. Since so much has fallen through the cracks with the Bush 43 Admin, I think that's a good place for you to start. Good luck and feel free to come back and post again!

    Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAWRENCE H. BERRY JRFebruary 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM

    I'VE BEEN SPEAKING OUT AGAINST bush , SINCE 2002 . IN 2003 , MY FAMILY AND I GOT SLAMMED BY bush's " HOMELAND SECURITY " . WE'VE BEEN GETTING SLAMMED EVERY DAY SINCE THEN . I WANT HIM HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR INTERNATIONAL , AND , DOMESTIC CRIMES .
    I COULD ALMOST GUARANTEE YOU THAT WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES BEING ABUSED , TORTURED , INTIMIDATED , AND TORMENTED BY bush's " HOMELAND SECURITY " , ON AMERICAN SOIL .
    I'VE BEEN MADE OUT TO BE ANTI-AMERICAN , I'VE BEEN MADE OUT TO BE A TERRORIST , I'VE BEEN MADE OUT TO BE AN ACTIVIST , I'VE BEEN MADE OUT TO BE CRAZY , I'VE BEEN MADE OUT TO BE A CRIMINAL ... SIMPLY , BECAUSE I'M SPEAKING OUT AGAINST THE WORLD BIGGEST TYRANT AND DICTATOR ... george w. bush .
    I'M A 44 yr. OLD , DISABLED MALE , WITH SIGNIFICANT OTHER , AND SIX CHILDREN . HARDLY A THREAT TO ANYONE .
    IRNI-777
    EXAMPLE :
    I WAS PULLED OVER FOR NO INSPECTION STICKER , ( WE WERE WAITING FOR THE TOWN OF RUMFORD , TO REPLACE OUR WINDSHIELD , THAT A TOWN TRUCK BROKE , BEFORE WE COULD GET A STICKER ) . I AM DISABLED WITH FIBROMYALGIA , AND AGORAPHOBIA , WHICH THE TOWN AND THE RUMFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT WERE ALL AWARE OF . OFFICER WINSON FREAKED OUT ON ME IN FRONT OF MY WIFE AND SIX CHILDREN , AND WAS POINTING A TASER AT ME , AND THREATENING TO SHOOT ME . HE NEGLECTED TO READ ME MY RIGHTS , AND ILLEGALLY SEARCHED AND SEIZED 3 MARIJUANA JOINTS I HAD IN A PRESCRIPTION PILL BOTTLE , OF WHICH , I SMOKE TO HELP RELIEVE MY CHRONIC PAIN . I AM STILL GOING THROUGH THE ' COURT PROCESS ' , AND WILL PROBABLY END UP PAYING OUTRAGEOUS FINES . ( I ALREADY SPENT THE NIGHT IN THE COUNTY JAIL , FOR POSSESSION OF A SUSPENDED LICENSE , AND OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE WITH A SUSPENDED LICENSE , AND PAID A 310.00 FINE ALREADY ) . THE MEDICAL REVIEW BOARD SUSPENDED MY LICENSE WITH OUT NOTIFICATION . ( MY BAD , I DIDN'T CHANGE MY ADDRESS WHEN I MOVED ) . HOWEVER , THE RUMFORD POLICE DEPARTMENT WAS AT MY HOUSE A WEEK AND A HALF PRIOR TO MY ARREST , BECAUSE OF PROBLEMS WE WERE HAVING WITH OUR NEIGHBOR , AND RAN MY LICENSE THEN , AND DIDN'T TELL ME THEN THAT IT WAS SUSPENDED . ( $40.00 ) THE SAME OFFICER THAT RAN MY LICENSE THAT NIGHT , OFFICER MILLER , WAS ALSO PRESENT AT THE ARREST ON 9/11 , 2008 . THEY ALSO WROTE ME TICKETS FOR : NO INSPECTION STICKER , ( BECAUSE OF THE WINDSHIELD ), NO PROOF OF INSURANCE , ( WHICH WE HAD ) , DRIVING A DISABLED VEHICLE , ( NOT HAVING A STICKER ) , AND INCORRECT ADDRESS ON MY LICENSE ,( MY BAD , I DID CHANGE MY ADDRESS ON EVERYTHING ELSE , INCLUDING EVERY STATE , AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT I'M LISTED WITH ) . AND , WROTE ME A TICKET FOR POSSESSION OF USABLE AMOUNT OF MARIJUANA , ( $430.00 ) AND , SALE AND USE OF DRUG PARAPHENALIA , ( ROACH CLIPS , AND THE PILL BOTTLE THE 3 JOINTS WERE IN ) .?????? . I ALREADY WENT TO COURT FOR THE LICENSE STUFF , MY COURT DATE FOR THE VEHICLE STUFF IS FEB. 3rd. , 1:00 pm , ( $50.00 ) AND FEB. 9th. , FOR THE MARIJUANA STUFF . QUITE EXTREME , IF YOU ASK ME . ( MY AUTO INSURANCE WENT UP $266.00 pr/yr ) .
    INRI-777

    ReplyDelete
  4. LAWRENCE H. BERRY JRFebruary 20, 2009 at 6:35 AM

    I WOULD WELCOME ANY LEGAL ASSISTANCE .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, man--that sounds very rough. I wish I could help out. The best thing to do is see if you can get some free legal help from the state and see if you can get any of these fines turned around. Our system doesn't help people like you very well (or at all), I'm sorry to say. Good luck to you! And if I can give you some advice, please don't use the caps-lock when you type. To most folks on the Internet, your comment reads like you're yelling and not many people like being yelled at. Again, good luck to you! I hope things calm down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LAWRENCE H. BERRY JRFebruary 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM

    YELLING !!!!!!!! IF I WERE YELLING , I'D USE MORE EXCLAMATION MARKS ( LOL ) . I'VE ALREADY DONE THE COURT " CRAP " , AND HAVE PAID MY FINES TO DATE . I ALSO DON'T BELIEVE , THE ' FREE LEGAL SERVICES ' , HAVE ENOUGH RESOURCES TO GO UP AGAINST THE " bush DYNASTY " . I'VE ALSO BECOME QUITE FOND OF MY ' PROTESTERS ' ... IT MAKES ME FEEL SPECIAL . AND ... BY CAPITALIZING MY WORDS , IT ALLOWS ME TO MINIMIZE ... bush . SEE ? THANK YOU FOR YOUR PSYCHOLOGICAL SUPPORT . PEACE , BROTHER PETE .
    LAWRENCE
    IRNI-777

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, fair enough, man! I agree with you on the free legal aid stuff--just wasn't sure what else to suggest. There aren't a lot of options for us poor folks, sadly. Good to make contact with you and good luck with everything! Feel free to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete