Technically any good? Now this is some good old fashioned movie making! While the film's abundance of alcohol jokes would bug me in a modern film, I got the impression that the lead character was "seriously" joking about needing to be constantly boozed up. I found those jokes darkly humorous. Also, the abundance of white people was annoying. Of course, it is typical of movies of the time to only see minorities cast as "the help." That aside, the writing is amazingly sharp and the performances equally so. The story kept me guessing almost until the end. Good stuff.
How did it leave me feeling? Curious about the other Thin Man movies. What also tweaked me (in a good way) was that the title of the movie doesn't come from the lead character, it comes from something the lead character says in passing about a suspect in the case. I love that subtle stuff!!
Final Rating? SIYL (B&W movies with booze humor aren't for everyone!)
The "Thin Man" movies were great. The chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell is terrific. Watching them was like catching a glimpse of what life was like for the rich and famous of the time. Glad to see other folks are enjoying them as much as I did.
ReplyDeleteWithout a doubt--they were really good together. Like I said, I'm looking forward to checking out the sequels.
ReplyDelete