Yup, in an Israeli attack on a power station, an oil pipeline was ruptured spewing 10-15 thousand tons of heavy oil into the Mediterranean Sea. I've been to the Mediterranean--I've seen it up close and personal. It's gorgeous. Or at least, it was.
Now check out this screengrab I snagged from [http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0828-01.htm|an August 28, 2006 article] found originally at SFGate.com but now available at CommonDreams.Org:
That caption came with the original pic on CommonDreams.Org.
Now, I haven't had the time to check out the mainstream news, so I've no idea if they're covering this story but if I were a betting man, I'd wager that they haven't bothered to spend a minute on this story.
In your government-should-be-taking-care-of-the-people-who-are-too-stupid-to-take-care-of-themselves world, why shouldn't the government of Israel take care of it's own people? They've been attacked by terrorists, two of them have been kidnapped by terrorists - the Israeli government is not in a big land grab, trying to take over the world - they're trying to ensure their citizens' peaceful existence. It is the terrorists who have said they want to destroy Israel.
ReplyDeleteYeah, but they haven't been "attacked" at all. The Hezbo leader said that if he had known Israel would retaliate the way they did he'd have never had kidnapped those two Israeli soldiers. All he wanted to do (and he's been saying this since day one of the attacks) was to grab a couple Israelis to trade for a couple of Lebanese prisoners Israel has in custody. But no one ever talks about that. All they talk about are the hundreds of rockets Hezbo has fired into Israel after the air strikes on Lebanon began. Those, crappy, Iranian-made, unguided rockets that have killed a tiny fraction of the number of the Lebanese that Israel has killed in their strikes.
ReplyDeleteSorry, ensuring your own citizens' peace and tranquility does not include bombing the shit out of someone who barely poked an eye out. Yes, Hezbo was wrong to kidnap, but destroying Lebanon's infrastructure was even more wrong.
Come on, folks--when are we going to stop fighting fire with fire and using our brains to avoid wars and killing? It's the 21st Century, why is violence still the number one choice for replying to things we don't like?