Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Crazy close to being done with draft 2 of TheKey

Wow, well, anyone who's been coming to ThePete.Com for a while knows that I am a writer. Back in 2002, I started the year with a promise to write at least a page-a-day for the entire year. Well, I did do that and then some. The story got away from me a bit and by this time two Decembers ago, I had written over 2400 pages. By the end of 2002 I had written even more.

I always have trouble talking about this because I'm always concerned people will assume that because I did so much writing that it all sucked. When I do mention it I mostly get people telling me that they are impressed. I always assume the worst, that they are just kissing my ass. However, I have gotten a bunch of people to read the first couple books and have a few good friends who read all 6 books (I can't publish 1 2400 page novel, can I??) as I wrote them, and they all seem to think it's pretty good--not perfect, obviously, but pretty good--especially considering I wrote the whole thing in a single year.

Of course, you try editing 2400 pages in a timely manner :) So far, I've done 4 drafts of Book 1, and two drafts of Books 2-5. I'm days away from finishing the 2nd draft on Book 6. It feels good and weird. What's frustrating is that unless I get a publisher for TheKey, it'll be at least another year before I'm done with the 3rd and 4th drafts of Books 2-6. It could take me even longer--especially since I'm thinking about one more polish on Book 1 before moving on to draft 3 of Book 2.

I am pretty psyched to be so close to the end of the 2nd drafts, though. I'm thrilled, actually--I'm just about to begin editing the BIG climax--where all 6 books come together and a LOT of people die. Well, fictional people, anyway.

OK, enough of me babbling about my cool-ass-novel series.

Anyone know a literary agent or publisher looking for a cash cow? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment