Technically any good? The movie follows three stories in three different parts of the world and the title suggests that the stories parallel, in some way, the story of the tower of Babel. That's where mankind was one giant civilization that got punished by God for thinking they could reach heaven without God's help, via this tower, so he smashed the tower and split everyone up to different corners of the world and made it so they couldn't understand each other. The trailer makes the film look tightly edited, well acted and very intense.
How did it leave me feeling? Excited to see it. I love smart movies that deal with culture and politics in a realistic manner. Hopefully, people won't be too scared of that subject matter and will actually see the film.
Final Rating? SOON - See On Opening Night
BABEL Opens in limited release in the US on October 27, 2006 and you check out the trailer for yourself [http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount_vantage/babel/|here].
Can't wait to see it but "language" is order, law or instruction to follow in biblical context, I think? As the Egyptian scribed in hieroglyphs of how you should live and how you should be :sit down :shut up and move the block or feel the whip on your back side.†I believe the Bible was talking more about command and control over the people by a few who commanded supply and production over all the people, and building something where the few in control felt as if they were more powerful than God. In Hebrew it just said it was so tall that it “reach the heavens†meaning sky in those days. The rest of it about not understanding each other meant for example: If I'm speaking "American" English to you and I'm so mad (because something just fell down that we all have been building for years. I think on 9/11 in Manhattan many people were not listening to one another much for the same reasons as in Babylon the day their Trade Center fell down.) that I am screaming at you and you could care less about what I am saying because I am "spitting mad" and acting like a fool then I am speaking where you and I “people†can not communicate with one another. There for groups will go off their separate ways as they no longer can get along with one another. Also the language of mystery living in such a complicated giant organized community which is too hard for the average person to begin to comprehend losses it’s awe of effect over the people or magic of thinking “how can you fight the great Babylon because look we are only serfs and look at the awe of their structures†. (which serfs actually built) Today is top major corporation which are our Babylon in the western world. So when the power of illusion of the “power†is gone from the people’s psyche all at once who were once oppressed then they have the organized power to just pick up and leave all at once, and get away before Babylon can get back on it‘s feet again and oppress them once again. It’s all OZ, so to speak. About the literal language part, I'm sure with any language people make gradual changes in patterns of speech over time then form new languages after generations all together. After awhile then people will talk in different languages and forget what made their ancestors move away from one another. One day writing down the legend as the story like the tower of Babylon was written. I believe once the Hebrews were able to write it down in a written language all the dynamic of the real who, what, and why just got left out. The movie though I hope is about at a later point now we want to come back together again as one people? I hope the movie was about how people once drifted away are now coming back together again. In other words, hope if you are a “one-worlder†elitists drooling over the command and control possibility of the whole world one day like GW wants, but tell the people it’s for peace as we are too stupid not to fall for it. Meaning hell on Earth for the rest of us serfs coming full circle back to the way in began. Please tell me the movie communicates that?
ReplyDeleteHa, don't know man!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it might touch on more than a few of your points above. Interesting points, too--I hadn't thought about it metaphorically, but thinking about it that way makes more sense as you watch the trailer. Babel seems like it will be a sequel, of sorts, to the original story because it seems to all be about miscommunication when people are mad and/or passionate about things. For instance, the Brad Pitt storyline involves him getting help for his wife who has been shot. That would make me pretty frantic and hard to communicate with.
The film comes out in late October and you can be sure I'll be catching it and reviewing it here. :)