So, two huge-ass buildings fall to the ground making a big old mess. Huge clouds of smoke (made up of pulverized bits of building and people) enshroud the south-end of Manhattan. The cloud clears before too long, but what do you think the odds are that some of those little bits of pulverized building and people were still in the air once that cloud cleared?
Of course, the EPA at the time did "tests" and the head of the EPA comes out and says the air is fine for all of the people working through the bigger bits of the building that weren't pulverized.
Thing is, she was lying.
It doesn't take tests to assume that when two buildings with asbestos in them fall to the ground that asbestos is going to be floating in the air for a while.
Anyone with a brain can work that out.
Too bad most rescue workers were too busy trusting their leaders.
And now thousands of relief and rescue workers are suffering from respiratory problems.
Now, according to [http://www.occupationalhazards.com/articles/15633|a September 14, 2006 article] at OccupationalHazards.Com, three congressmen from New York are calling for an investigation into whether or not Christine Todd Whitman deserves to face criminal charges.
I love that since she's told one of the smaller lies since 911.
I guess respiratory masks didn't occur to OSHA and yet they'll jump all over papercuts in the office. Hmm..
ReplyDeleteIt's really upsetting to know that rescue/relief workers (perhaps the only true altruists left in the world) always get screwed over. Either some top level prick skims funds or their cause is challenged and/or goes completely unnoticed. Now some of the 911 crew have "unexplained" accelerated stages of cancer and early deaths to look forward to. So sad.
You know, the same person who quoted "Lying increases the creative faculties, expands the ego, and lessens the frictions of social contacts" also said "No good deed goes unpunished"~!
Wow, Kris--who said those things?? ;) But yeah, it's very sad. I was actually approached by a close friend in the days after 911. He asked me if I wanted to go with him to Ground Zero to volunteer. I seriously considered it, but knew there wasn't a way to keep my rent and bills paid if I up and left to NYC. I'm glad I was selfish. It would have been great to help, but--not at the expense of shortening my life. :\
ReplyDeleteAnd rescue/relief workers did use masks of all types--but it was only some of them. Outside of the immediate area I don't think anyone did.