Thursday, September 27, 2007

DOWNFALL (2004)

Positive Experience/Entertaining? Wow--was it ever. This film is incredibly powerful. Hitler as a human being. I can't believe this film came out of Germany!


Technically any good? Unbelievably solid. I would have liked a larger scope for the film, but th 3rd Reich's last few years still made for an interesting film. I wish the director would have made an epic like Das Boot about this subject matter. The acting is amazing--almost every single actor nails the ambiguity of working for a man who was amoral in some ways and delusional in others. You can almost understand why they didn't stop him. Those same scenes provided a disturbing mirror to what must be going on these days inside the White House.


How did it leave me feeling? Depressed. There are some seriously heavy scenes in this film--child murder, suicide, and lots of delusional people absolutely convinced that what they were doing was right.


Final Rating? GSN - Go See Now - Excellent film. Just excellent (but not for kids, duh).

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes when you're The Decider, you've got to ignore the advice of your generals and pursue your own dreams. Keep reaching for the stars, Hitler!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, really depressing point, Tim!

    Though, I think there's a law/meme someplace that says you just lost the argument...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I wondered about that... does Godwin's law apply when you're already talking about Nazis? If anything, I'm unfairly comparing Hitler to Bush... sorry, Adolf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, now, I think he'd have been flattered ;)

    ReplyDelete