Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches Help Save the Earth

Man, that is one hippie-libbie-BS-glib-pithy-ass headline I've got there. Ah well, it's the truth. How do I know? Because I read this post over at 21st-Century-Citizen.com (here: http://urltea.com/174v) about cool the PB&J sandy is. Check out a cutting:
One of the daily decisions we all face is what to eat. How do we eat well and in a way that’s good for the environment — and at the same time have meals that are easy to fix and taste good?

One food that fits all this is the simple Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich. According to the PB&J Campaign website:

* Eating a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich instead of a grilled cheese or chicken sandwich saves 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions. That’s almost half of what you’d save if you switched to a Hybrid car.
* The same sandwich will save 280 gallons of water since growing peanuts takes less water than livestock.
* Growing peanuts also takes less land than animals — so your sandwich could help preserve 12-50 square feet of land from being used for cultivation.

I bet you didn’t realize that eating three Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches could have the same environmental impact as switching your showers to a low-flow shower head.


Uh, yeah, I didn't actually know that last bit about swapping my "showers to a low-flow shower head." Not sure why I should know that (or how many showers I'm supposed to have), but still pretty amazing how efficient a PB & J sandy is. The funny thing about the 21-c-c.c post is that it tries to suggest that there's no difference between mainstream corporate peanut butter and all-natural stuff that is simply made of peanuts. There is so much extra crap in, say, Jiff or Skippy that it scares me. When I switched my diet around back in 2003 to consume as much natural food as possible, one of the first things I did was change PB brands.

If you don't believe me, try all natural PB just once to compare what real food looks and tastes like compared to the corporate crap. If memory serves, if you take a jar of corporate PB, unscrew the cap and hold it upside down nothing spills out.

That's really not supposed to happen. The natural stuff, especially before you stir it up, is almost a syrup. That's because it's (say it with me) natural.

Sure, according to some government sponsored scientists the crappy corporate stuff isn't always worse for you than the all-natural stuff. However, see the real thing for yourself and make up your mind. It's not like those government guys aren't listening to the will of big business, or anything.

FYI, I use Trader Joe's Creamy Unsalted Peanut Butter (just peanuts in it!), TJ's organic fruit spread (the only thing added in the raspberry flavored is vitamin C & citric acid), and TJ's LOOK PA! NO FLOUR! Sprouted Wheat Berry bread.

By the way, when I switched to all natural foods, I lost 20 pounds in a month, though I gained a bit of it back by eating too much healthy food.

Hey, healthy doesn't mean it won't make you heavy.

Come on, it's your body and it's made to eat natural food, not chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment