“SALE Augen 7” tablet. Google Android OS. Read ebook. Watch a video and listen to music. Browse web. Wi-fi built in.
Sounds basic, but what’s interesting is that it’s available at K-Mart at all AND that it’s not a real name-brand tablet. I was curious about the specs, so I tried finding it on K-Mart’s website. Alas, I couldn’t find it, but did find this:
Yeah, that’s not the $149 Android-powered tablet mentioned in the K-Mart circular, but it is a cheaper Kindle clone. It comes with 2GB storage and an SD slot, however. If it weren’t for the lack of the e-Ink display and the color LCD that replaces it, I’d be curious if it would have better battery life. However, the fact that this is an e-book reader available at K-Mart says something to me.
In the “also viewed” section I found a link to the ”Mach Speed Trio 8GB 4.3 in. Touchscreen Display Video MP3 Player” which isn’t a full-sized tablet, but does mention that it can read e-books. I also found the “Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO” which looks more like a Sony e-book reader clone. The site lists no specs for it aside from the fact that it’s got an “e-paper” display (e-paper is the generic term for non-back-lit displays and has no direct connection to the proprietary “e-Ink” name). The Aluratek Libre is available at K-Mart for $129.
The point here is that you’ve probably never heard of “Aluratek,” “Mach Speed” or “Augen” as brands, yet, here they are, listed on K-Mart’s website. What I’m getting at here is that I think, now that we’re seeing low-end companies get onboard the e-book train, the e-Book Era has finally arrived. Nope, it’s not about Apple or Amazon—the sure sign is when everyone can make a buck.
No comments:
Post a Comment