Tuesday, August 3, 2010



From the “Why WaPo Sold You” file:


newsweek:



newyorker:



Kanye West’s tweets meet The New Yorker’s Cartoon Caption Contest. The results are hilarious!


Thanks Josh A. Cagan (@joshacagan on Twitter) for these amazing mash-ups - you made our morning!



Today in Things We Love: Further proof that marveling at Kanye’s twitter stream won’t be getting old anytime soon. 


(Also, celebrity tweets taken out of context will always be a Nwk Tumblr favorite)



Oh gosh, isn’t that Kanye a silly person! What WILL he say next! Probably something about black people!  LAWLZ.


SIGH.


One of the reasons I was resistant to Tumblr at first was the ease at which one can reblog other people’s content—I knew that I’d have to fight the temptation to reblog too much and saw that too many had already given in.  What I realize now, however, is that Tumblr didn’t have to make it any easier since people seem to be obsessed with hijacking other people’s content and reposting it “ironically.” 


It’s one thing to link to someone else’s post or even excerpt it, and I know I do my fair share of reblogging, too, and up until now, I thought the commentary I added was enough.  But now I think I’m done with reblogging other people’s stuff.  This reblogged post from Newsweek has inspired me—why?


Because, it came from Newsweek’s Tumblr.  A Tumblr, that I started following because it was incredibly interesting and included 100% interesting stuff, either on Newsweek.com or on other sites.  I don’t mind it’s relaxed tone, either, but with this post? I really felt compelled to say something.


As far as I’m concerned, Kanye West’s twitterstream was boring to me before Kanye West signed up for Twitter, before he was even famous and before he was even born.  I have precisely zero interest in Kanye West’s tweets and, it’s likely, I never will.


What I’d love to see is more content-creators focusing on coming up with our own interesting, original content instead of falling back on snarky “commentary” of things said by stupid people (or stupid things said by people). 


Ultimately, though, it’s your blog, do what you want with it, but I do wish everyone who blogged could do it with the goal of improving humanity and not increase the stupid quotient in the process.


Yes, yes, I know I can just choose not to follow the “Nwk Tumblr” but I used to like it.


All right, enough ranting from me…

No comments:

Post a Comment