Saturday, June 24, 2006

Good Friday Night

Wow, it's amazing how slave labor/an average dayjob can eject you happily into your weekend. I swear, last night I felt like it's 1981 and I just left Iran.

The reason this good feeling is bad is because I didn't do anything spectacular Friday night. I just wandered around Westwood Village by myself. That's how bland and boring my dayjob is--a walk around a shopping area I've walked around THOUSANDS of times before was fun.

West Side Story in Westwood Village.This is not to say I didn't stumble across some cool things. One thing I discovered is that the LA Film Festival, which is being held currently in the Village, held a free, outdoor screening of West Side Story. Check out a somewhat lousy pic of it to the right there.

The screening was set up in a street that is usually one-way but usually featured more pedestrian traffic than vehicle traffic, so it wasn't a big loss to the area. Personally, I get annoyed when big showbiz events block traffic in Westwood, but this was not a huge deal.

Aiptek MPVR The camera I used to take the above pic is my new minicam. The old minicam has been a real workhorse for me since I got it back in December of 2003, but recently has gone a bit senile. Some of the videos it shoots end up being unplayable on my Mac and it'll just randomly turn on throughout the day all by itself. I'll just hear this beep from my shoulder bag.

Combine this with my new job (or rather, its paycheck) and I thought it was time to look into a replacement. But rather than get an exact replacement for the [http://thepete.com/uploads/minicam.jpg|original minicam] ([http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=POCKET-DVII-N&cpc=SCH&srm=0|available] at Geeks.com for $50!) I thought an upgrade was in order, especially when I found a new minicam that had the most amazing feature imaginable. Check out all that it can do:

1) still cam
2) video cam
3) voice recorder (I know, big deal)
4) plays mp3s
5) plays videos
6) records video from an outside source!

That last feature is what makes this device nearly ideal for me. I can just plug this puppy into any video source and record. Sadly, I can only record in ASF format which Quicktime doesn't seem to like, but luckily, iSquint can convert it fairly quickly, which is nice. So if this recorded video in the same format that the iPod uses and even had iPod engineering and design behind it, it would be my ultimate device. On the other hand, that would have upped the price way beyond the $150 I spent on it, sooo...

Anyway, so I picked that puppy up Thursday night but tested it last night.

Another cool thing I found was what I believe to be the coolest Superman toy I've ever seen. Usually people think of toys as being action figures, but I like toys that help you imagine you are in the stories you enjoy. As a result I have a huge toy light saber collection, a huge club that Bam-Bam (from the Flintstones) carried around and now, I have what you see below:

Kryptonite Shard


No, I will NOT grow up and NO, that is NOT A DILDO MADE OF KRYPTONITE!!

I don't think you'd want to use this thing as a dildo as it has fairly sharp edges... yick... anyway, it came with two glowsticks, but I am thinking about picking up one of those small flourescent flashlights and canibalizing it so it'll make this thing light up on cue. I might also try one of those uber-bright LED based flashlights.

OH and I also got my tickets to a little film that will screen starting Tuesday night:

superman_returns_tix


Yes, it's amazing--a film I am actually looking forward to seeing!!

Today will be spent doing mostly housework. As with most Americans, toiling at a dayjob for 8 hours doesn't leave you inspired to do the chores when you get home, so Saturday becomes choreday. I'm also going to try to sneak in an entry of TheVlog. Wish me luck--it's been hard finding the energy to do anything truly productive since going back to a 9-to-6er.

The 5 Minute Show was late last week and will be late again most likely this week. However, it will show up, no matter how late it is. My goal is to get us up to 52 episodes by the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment