Sunday, June 18, 2006

BEATING CHILDREN THE CHRISTIAN WAY?

Hope you had fun at Church, today, if you're a church goer that is. If you are, odds are you probably aren't a serious Christian. At least you aren't if you don't beat your children--according to a group of evangelical Christians who feel that a 2000-year-old book contains good advice for raising your children today. England's http://Guardian.co.uk posts [http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1792729,00.html|an article] detailing the return of the systematic abuse of children. Here's a clip:
"We are told that in England it is a crime to spank children," writes Debbi Pearl from No Greater Joy Ministries, following a row that has erupted over the distribution of their literature in the UK. "Therefore Christians are not able to openly obey God in regard to biblical chastisement. They are in danger of having the state steal their children."

The Pearls are evangelical Christians who believe corporal punishment is "doing it God's way". With a mailing list of tens of thousands of parents, the Pearls say that the justification for their approach is in scripture: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes" (Proverbs 13:24).

Chastening begins early. "For the under-one-year-old, a little, 10- to 12-inch long, willowy branch (stripped of any knots that might break the skin) about one-eighth inch diameter is sufficient," writes Michael Pearl. With older children he advises: "After a short explanation about bad attitudes and the need to love, patiently and calmly apply the rod to his backside. Somehow, after eight or 10 licks, the poison is transformed into gushing love and contentment. The world becomes a beautiful place. A brand-new child emerges. It makes an adult stare at the rod in wonder, trying to see what magic is contained therein."


First torture is back and now beating our children is trying to come into style again. It's like Western Civilization is taking backward steps or something.

Thanks be to Kay for posting [http://thepete.com/thegraffiti-at-thepetecom/|graffiti] about this.

5 comments:

  1. Bob "Crazy Man" EdwardsJune 23, 2006 at 11:18 AM

    I was not going to comment on this, but after a few days I thought, "what the heck". So here is a quote from a Joe from a net thread that I thought showed the other side to this issues in a mainstream American light. Enjoy ~K and the rest. I think some take this subject to an extreme on both sides of it, but what do I know, I'm just a "Crazy Man".

    From a Joe:
    [quote}The goal of all punishment is to make it so uncomfortable that the perpetrator will be unwilling to commit the same offense again. Be it children or criminal justice - If a child is not taught to have any fear of wrongdoing, then that child will carry that same attitude into adulthood.
    Giving a child a time out is not necessarily something that will teach that child a lesson. There's not enough "uncomfortableness" in a time out to prevent a child from comitting the same offense again.

    Each child and each circumstance are different though - and spanking is not always necessary - but in my house, the fear of being spanked keeps the kids from comitting the same offence twice. I would also add that a parent should never spank in anger - wisdom and restraint are necessary. A parent needs to execute just enough punishment to assure the child understands and fears the consequences - but not so much that the child grows angry and rebellious. After the crying is over, I always make sure that the kids understand why they were spanked.

    I've seen kids that are so disrespectful to their parents, and the parents do nothing about it. To me, this is child abuse - one day, that child will have to deal with that attitude as an adult - and the consequences then will be far greater than a spanking. {quote]

    I had to find a quote because I didn't ever spank my kids. Not because I have always been a non-violent person as that is not true. My wife and I had fought alot years ago back in our drinking days. A bit of honesty there about myself.

    Source link below:
    http://forum.bible.org/viewtopic.php?t=3173&sid=148bc5652e3cdbf42735d7b3d370737f

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's like saying the death penalty actually deters serial killers and murderers--because actually it doesn't, and it has been proven again and again and again in studies.

    Nice find man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, gotta agree with TheMorgan. Sure, spanking may "work" but like the "moral war" argument, is it the best choice?

    I'm not a parent and won't be one for a while. However, I feel like teaching your kid why doing something is bad makes more sense than making the kid scared shitless of a beating.

    I was never scared of getting spanked when I was a kid. I was more scared of disappointing my parents.

    In my mind, teaching kids why doing certain things are wrong makes more sense--for instance, when your kid throws a tantrum in a public place, you take him out to the car and lock him in the backseat until you're done shopping. Then, once he's calmed down you explain to him that Mom/Dad work their asses off every day and that when little Bobby is difficult it only makes Mom/Dad's life more difficult.

    If the kid doesn't listen to reason, then start taking away his stuff and/or rights. No TV, no toys, no time with friends, etc. I hate to sound like a liberal/hippie/peacenik, but give diplomacy a chance and you just might end up with a reasonable kid.

    But , again, I'm no parent. I just have never seen the above done with anyone but don't know why it wouldn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I don't know the age rang you maybe talking about here, but I think in most US states you can't do this.> "In my mind, teaching kids why doing certain things are wrong makes more sense–for instance, when your kid throws a tantrum in a public place, you take him out to the car and lock him in the backseat until you’re done shopping. Then, once he’s calmed down you explain to him that Mom/Dad work their asses off every day and that when little Bobby is difficult it only makes Mom/Dad’s life more difficult."
    I've always wanted to do this, but as my perpetual bad luck would always have it, there was always too many other people around who may of called the cops on me.
    Here is a PDF link on it. http://www.ci.laguna-niguel.ca.us/documents/General/Kaitlyn%27s_Law_Safety_Bulletin.pdf
    PS I think if you are talking about 6-12 though the odds of them staying in the car, let's say, are low.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you're so optomistic, Bob! You remind me of my step-dad. Sheesh...

    Just a quick reminder: I said the above as a non-parent, aka someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

    In the end, no method of kid-control is perfect, but I know I'd like to avoid hitting my kids when I finally have them.

    ReplyDelete