Thursday, June 8, 2006

Remember The Tick's Nightmare Job?

I've got the Tick's nightmare job.

Remember that one episode of the cartoon where some random badguy (I think) made the Tick imagine his worst nightmare and it was him being trapped in a desk job?

That's what I'm dealing with.

It's not so much the desk job itself I hate, though. The work is fine, brain-numbing data entry. It's just that I'm so drained when I get home I don't want to spend the last five hours of my day making another effort. I want to relax, have fun and not feel like I have to do anything.

Alas, I must. This bites. I need to get a job as a writer or make some serious money off of things I've written.

In short, I'm hating my life right now. This is precisely what I feared most about going back to a 9-5er--no--it's worse. I get absolutely nothing out of my dayjob. To me it doesn't make sense to spend most of your waking hours working for some company and not for your overall benefit. Sure, you get paid, but that's just compensation for the work you do. You don't actually get ahead. You just spin your wheels. When I work as a projectionist, I at least get to study the movies I watch or bring my sketch book along and draw if I'm not going to watch the movies.

The only thing I get to do at my 9-5er is listen to podcasts all day. Big deal--I can do that while I'm drawing at my screenings that I'm not watching.

I just don't want to spend 10 hours out of my day (8hrs+lunch and commute) working for someone else's benefit while wasting my life away. I get so frustrated when I look around at other people in the world and see them not noticing that they're just wage slaves and any dreams they might have had as kids are long dead, yet still things they could go after if only they bothered resurrecting those dreams.

Instead most of us just climb on the treadmill, too afraid to risk anything...

2 comments:

  1. =(

    "Here's to wage slavery," she typed from her little cubicle. XD

    Hope things look up for you soon, Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Things aren't bad for me, they're just not what I want them to be. I have it way better than a lot of folks. That doesn't mean I should be satisfied, of course. Thanks for the positive thoughts, though! :)

    ReplyDelete