Sunday, June 25, 2006

OPERA BROWSER FOR NINTENDO DS HAS A RELEASE DATE!

Since it's still the weekend (as I type this) I thought I could still post some FUN news. If you're like me, you've been waiting for a browser for the Nintendo DS. The DS has WiFi capabilities built in and a browser for a device with a touchscreen always seemed like a logical thing. For some reason, however, Nintendo waited until this year to announce one. Sure, there have been homebrew browsers that you could use, but you had to have a GBA movie player or something called a flash cart along with a device that would flash the firmware--or remove the software in the machine that is not supposed to be removed, usually.

Now, I don't have a problem with any of this, but I didn't want to go through all of this and end up with a dodgy browser. Sure homebrew stuff for the DS (and other devices) aren't always dodgy, but you figure if Nintendo is going to put out a browser it'll probably be a lot more stable than something from the homebrew community. SO, you can imagine my excitement when Ninty finally announced the release date for their new browser, made by the folks over at Opera.

July 24, 2006 is the magic day, exactly one month from yesterday. Sadly, that's the release date for Japan, only. The theory goes that if it's a huge hit in Nippon (what the Japanese call "Japan"), it'll make it's way overseas posthaste.

However, being the early-adopting-gadget-freak that I am, I'll be importing a copy from Japan, ASAP. I'm also going to take the opportunity to upgrade to a black DS Lite--they're sooo cool looking!!

So, good news for those of us who have never understood why we couldn't surf the web on our DS!

Another post and pics when my browser arrives! Expect that to happen some time in early August since it still takes a while to get stuff from Asia.

Read more about this in [http://www.dsfanboy.com/2006/06/22/view-opera-browser-boxart-through-a-web-browser/|a June 22, 2006 post] at DSFanboy.Com.

No comments:

Post a Comment