Saturday, May 14, 2005

Ep3 "Makes Up for" the Last Two?

So, I'm out for a mind-clearing walk this evening and I stop by my old hang-out, Boba Loca to see my friend John who runs the place. It turns out that a mutual friend of ours got to see Star Wars: Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith at a press screening or something. John said the one thing he was curious about was if Ep3 made up for the last two crapfests (my word, not his). The mutual friend said that it did make up for them.

I find this hard to believe. There is NOTHING in my mind that can make Ep3 make up for Eps 1 and 2. Nothing can make the less-than-lackluster performances of Jake Lloyd or Hayden Christensen suddenly good. NOTHING can make the bizarre convoluted plot of Ep1 or the completely unbelievable love story of Ep2 more acceptable to anyone with a fully functioning brain. Likewise, NOTHING about Ep3 can fill the massive plot holes and sheer idiocies of Eps 1 and 2.

Ep3 may be a better movie than Eps 1 and 2. Ep3 may be (by default) a more fulfilling movie than Eps 1 and 2--in fact it had better be based on the virtue of Ep3 portraying the birth of Darth Vader.

To be perfectly honest, I won't be going into Ep3 with an open mind. After the terrible films that were Eps 1 and 2, it would be impossible for me to do so. However, I'm not a child--I can recognize a strong movie when I see one. If it's at all good, you can rest assurd, I'll be honest and admit the strong points of the film just as quickly as I'll bag on its weaknesses.

I have yet to decide when I'll be seeing it. The midnight show in the Village (here, in Westwood) is only 82% full as I type this, which means I bet there will be a matinee with seats available on Wednesday. Perhaps I'll see it then. There's also a chance I could see it sooner than even Tuesday at midnight--how could this be? Oh, I have my ways... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment