My friend Lauren Raab writes a funny recipe column in UCLA's Daily Bruin newspaper on a weekly basis--if you enjoy cooking (or are scared of cooking, like I am) you should definitely check out her past columns. However, she does myself and TheFiancee a special honor this week by writing about a recipe of ours in her column.
It's called Guaca-fishy and it's our own unique twist on the guacamole thing.
Oh and while Lauren did explain some nice backstory for avocados, she didn't mention where the Aztec word for avocados, ahuacatl, comes from. Apparently, the word "ahuacatl" is very similar to the Aztec word for testicles.
No joke! I read it somewhere.
Totally no joke on the ahaucatl thing. But it's not similar -- it's exactly the same. I'm not sure whether the fruit was named after the testicle or the testicle was named after the fruit ... anyway, I just didn't want to put that in the column 'cause my grandparents read it. So let's get it out of my sytem here, then. PETE IS RIGHT! TESTICLE. Testicle testicle.
ReplyDeleteOkay, now the word has lost all meaning.
ha! That's awesome.
ReplyDeleteSo, your question is "which came first, the avocado or the testicle?"
Hm... I've got my theories..