Wednesday, May 4, 2005

Alumni Magazine? You mean--I went to college???

Why did I do THAT?

But I kid my parents for dropping $80 grand so I could prepare myself to drive scooters around southern California with a BFA...

Ah, there's nothing quite as depressing as receiving your alumni magazine in the mail and seeing all of those people you went to school with having so much success to talk about.

Of course, I do take solace in that I don't recognize any of the successful people's names--this means that none of my friends from college are so successful they feel the need to brag about it to their fellow alums.

Yeah, I look back and wonder just what good that BFA was supposed to do for me in my given field. Sure, college was a great learning experience in every other way aside from academics. Most of what I learned about film making and writing I taught myself. I had one TA who did teach me something, so, for that I'm happy. HIs name was Mike Nelson (no relation to the second host of MST3k). Mike was a great guy. He got me to think about more than just what was on the screen, but what was in the frame and what those things in the frame actually meant.

I said Mike "was" a great guy because I had hear he had gotten a real bad case of cancer. I had lost touch with him before I had heard this and in the days before the Web, it was difficult to track people down short of hiring a detective. Even now I doubt I could track him down since Mike Nelson is about as common a name as they come.

Huh... I just realized that my mentor during my time in the world of animation had kidney problems--he might be dead now, too.

Jeez... don't be my mentor!! Apparently, it's very bad for your health!

No comments:

Post a Comment