Monday, May 2, 2005
HITCHHIKER'S CAME IN FIRST!! HOLY CRAP!
HOLY CRAP!! I can't believe it!! A movie I actually WANTED to see come in first place in its opening weekend box office take ACTUALLY DID!!
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy ( read my Pocket Review) is a film that I think is as smart as it is stupid, silly as it is serious, was an all around much better film than I expected to see made and just happened to be at the top of most movie-goers lists of movies to see this past weekend. Unfortunately, the film took in just $21.7 million, but I reeeeally hope it is able to stick around in theaters and maybe even do better. It would be a real freakin' treat if we could see more Hitchhiker's movies. The universe the late Douglas Adams created is rich with brilliantly funny characters, storylines and worlds--a Hitchhiker's franchise could go on for a great many movies and still be pretty damn funny.
What's even better is that Adams had a keen sense of how absurd life really is and his writing showed it well. If you can't tell already, I totally agreed with his opinion that the world is truly an absurd place and it was wonderful experiencing the work of someone I agreed with. Not to sound too gushy, but a series of films based on Adams' work would be a true gift to humankind, on par with the Lord of the Rings movies--assuming they would be done well. Hell, I think Peter Jackson could direct the crap out of those stories and his usual cast of writers I'd expect to do a wonderful job of adapting the rest of the original Hitchhiker's novel or any of the others.
A Hitchhiker's franchise would make me excited about the movies again...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment