Sunday, May 29, 2005

Welcome to the New Site Design

Here's the deal, I wasn't bored with the old design, but there were some things I just couldn't get to work behind the scenes so I decided to upgrade to the latest version of WordPress, my incredibly versatile blogging tool, in the hopes that my problems would be fixed. The good news is that most of my problems have gone away. However, because there was something with my past layout that caused some of the problems (I just couldn't figure out where or how) I decided to go with the default design that comes with WP 1.5.1.1 (like that version number?? SHEESH!) with some tweaks.

Of course, you know me, "tweaks" to me are more like "major alterations" to anyone else. Still, I got the new design up and running in under 48 hours. That's definitely a record for me.

I did quite a bit as you can see--while the original design is the uber-common/popular Kubrick layout, I've cluttered it up nicely. ;) I've even redone the html behind TheBlurb pages. I think that's the first time I've changed them in nearly 5 years! They're so pretty now!

The things I need to do still are as follows:

1) Add contact info/forms in the sidebar (Managed to fix this before bedtime--ack! It's 4:20am!)
2) Add a new tag board/shoutbox (Done! Why not try it out now?)
3) Figure out why WP won't take emailed posts from Blogger.com (Done! It turns out Blogger timestamps emailed post in advance--apparently, if I had just waited long enough each of my test posts would have ended posting properly. Live and learn! Thanks be to Rusty for the tip!)
4) Finish recategorizing all of my entries from my GreyMatter days (that's taking forever!)
5) Build a Pocket Reviews page that will display only PokeRevs

So, I've got a tidy little list of things left to do, but I'm sure those five things will keep me busy. In the meantime, if anyone feels like telling me what they think of the new layout, feel free to post a comment or three :)

PS This design should look brilliant in any browser. If it doesn't, definitely let me know what browser it looks lousy in. Thiiinx!

2 comments:

  1. For your pocket reviews page, you should check out RumCategory. I used it to make my DVD collection, and I am pretty sure you can have it show an entire post from one or more categories... Just an idea. =) Love the site and added you to my links, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks Ensellitis!! Both for the kind words and for stopping by! I shall definitely check out RumCategory. I had tried to build a Pocket Reviews-only page before with MooKitty's Show Categories plugin, but there were too many weird side FX in WP 1.5. I'm sure I'll have better luck with RumCategory.

    Thanks again for the Shoutbox plugin (and for the quick replies to my problems!), I'll be building an official "About this site" page soon and I'll be sure to link to you on it.

    Please feel free to stop by again and comment!

    ReplyDelete