Howdy, everyone! I just wanted to post a short somethin'-somethin' to explain what I've been up to. Even my IM friends are probably wondering where I've been or at the very least what I've been doing instead of being online. Well, the answer is a good one.
First, I wanted to say thanks to my guestbloggers who have posted while I've been swamped. It's been great seeing you guys post and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I've also found your posts pretty damn good, so there's that, too.
Now, to explain why I haven't been posting as much as I'd like, I need to take you back to that trip to Scotland TheWife and I took last month. First, we were there for her to be in a show. Second, we got married there, third, and completely peripherally, I was asked to co-write a horror play with the director of TheWife's show and her co-writer on said show. I don't often need to be asked twice if I'll write something for someone, so I said yes. Then I found out the show was to go up in October with rehearsals in early September with casting during the few days in September before that.
We got back from Scotland on 15 August. This meant that we'd have about two weeks to finish writing a play we hadn't even started writing. On top of having to go back to work and dealing with jetlag, etc., I knew this would be an interesting challenge. Adding to the fun as we began working was the fact that my co-writer having to do things in conjunction with the indy film he had been cast in (not Indy-ana Jones, but Indypendent film) and, like us, he was pretty nearly stone-broke when he got back from Scotland so he started pulling a bunch of double-shifts at his pizzaria. Then, this week, days before the 2nd draft needed to be done, he got terribly sick. I don't have a problem with any of these things, I'm just pointing out the obstacles to easily pumping out this script together. I've had to work a lot, too.
So, in short, it's been FUN! :) I don't mind the work, really, I don't. I'm actually enjoying the hell out of it. I can't tell if the script is scary at all yet. I'm working on the second draft tonight. I can tell you that sitting through auditions was a blast. There's a strange power-trip you feel when people come in to basically get your approval. Still, being married to an actor, I'm not about to be a dick about it and make people hop on one leg or show me how flexible they are or what-have-you.
One of the weirdest things so far happened when I finished the first draft up at 7am, caught 5 hours sleep, woke up and dashed off to the casting session where I heard the words I had written just hours earlier. I'm sure most writers will back me up when I say that it's very rare for us to hear our own words read back to us at all, let alone within hours of writing them. That was an adrenaline rush to be sure.
During the second day of casting, I had the second-weirdest thing happen to me--a person came in to audition who instantly seemed to be precisely right for the part. Sure, I was probably biased because she was attractive, but when she read for the character she got a good number of the nuances on the very first try. There's something that's just unnerving about seeing someone in the real world fit what you had imagined so well--in fact, this person fit the character better than my imagination had. I won't mention who this is in case she ever reads this or worse some of the other cast members read it...
Suffice it to say, this has been a crazy couple of weeks. Just about everyone has been cast, rehearsals start next week and we've yet to finish draft #2.
In other words, it's the only way I like to work. :D
Sheesh, I still have stuff I want to blog about from TheScotland Trip and a stack of other stuff, too. Oh well... it'll all get blogged eventually! Thanks for stopping by!
No comments:
Post a Comment