Thursday, September 29, 2005

Bad News for the Nano--Par for the Course for Apple?

I love my iPod, but when it first came out, I didn't want one. As the price came down and my knowledge of the features grew, I came to want one. Perhaps the same thing will happen with the iPod Nano for me. I think the damn thing is too small in both physical size and storage space. The screen is tiny and, apparently, easily breakable. A great many Nano users are complaining that their LCD screens have been easily cracked--Apple, of course, has said this problem has occured with a tiny fraction of the Nano's out there, despite the flood of cracked-Nano-screen-related threads popping up on discussion forums around the 'net. To Apple's credit, they are replacing damaged units.

Still, this reminds me of all of the trouble I've had with the Apple company. I had a iBook G3 that died on me three times and then got lost in shipping when Apple assured me they'd have my beloved iBook back to me in 3 days time. They say they're replacing Nanos, but from the very first failure of my iBook, I demanded a replacement. Apple's last intent was to replace my iBook. Finally, after losing mine, they offered to replace it, but I demanded a refund instead. They jerked me around some more, but after a lot of agression from me, they finally gave in and sent me a full refund, including tax.

However, the Nano going south on people isn't just a familiar thing to me--apparently a great many people have noticed a certain cycle to Apple products. While it's probably not exactly accurate to every product Apple has released, this description of the [http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/|Apple Product Cycle] at MisterBG.org certainly fits the Nano to a T. Here's a sample:
A minor, rarely occurring flaw in the device begins to be discussed in the Apple support forums. Whiny, artistic types post lengthy diatribes about how this terrible design flaw has made the device unusable and scarred them emotionally. Electronic petitions are created demanding that Apple replace the devices for free, plus pay for counseling to help traumatized users overcome their emotional distress.

There's a lot more to read, so check out that link.

Just as an FYI, I'm still a Mackie, but I truly coming to hate all corporations like Apple who seem to be oblivious to how so-called "minor" design flaws can be a serious waste of time for customers in a world where time=money in many cases literally. I'm also getting tired of having to beat good customer service out of companies and Apple is a good example of one such beating I took part in.

Don't get me wrong--I love Apple products--I just hate that the company responsible for making them is so typically like other companies these days in that they don't want to immediately step up to the plate to make it right for their customers.

Forget the old saying "The Customer is Always Right." The new saying is "The Customer is Always--wait do I actually have to talk to these people?"

No comments:

Post a Comment