One of my favorite movies is this old movie version of the classic novel 1984. A while back I converted it to mp4 for easy watching on my iPod. Tonight I decided to put it on while working on a client's website. The film is surprisingly good for 1955--the year in which it was made. They change a staple of the book, though, replacing the infamous rat cage with simply a room filled with rats. That change wasn't that big of a deal, though I missed the imagery of a rat cage that attaches to your face.
>shudder<
So I'm watching the interogation and reprogramming scene and it occurs to me just how inefficient Big Brother's procedure is for dealing with dissidents.
If I were Big Brother, I would just hire a bunch of talking heads to go on cable TV and "report" over and over again that 2+2=5.
It worked for Iraq and WMD, didn't it?
Hell, you could kind of draw a decent parallel between 911 and the rat cage, now that I think about it. I certainly feel like 911 gets clamped onto my face every time a Republican (and even some Democrats) needs to get something done. And it's use as the rat cage certainly gets people to agree with a lot of stuff.
OK, I'm going to stop thinking about this now...
...or try to...
No comments:
Post a Comment