Howdy folks, sorry about the lack of posts. Just dealing with a lot of stuff. Mainly, I'm wondering if anyone can hook me up with a good legal resource for the employment of freelance copy writers. I currently work for a particular firm that has changed their needs dramatically since I started working for them last year. I'm less a copy writer and more a research writer. I think I was being paid fine for the former, but the latter, not so much. What's worse is that the job was originally anonymous. Now, they're planning on putting my work on the Internet with my name and picture attached for all to see. I'm not necessarily embarassed by my work with them, it's just that I don't want to be known to the world as a copy writer. Hell, I don't even use my real name on this site. If you're clever you can track it down, but the point is, the name/picture thing was not part of the deal.
Anyway, my theory is that I'm stuck because I'm a contract writer. Since I'm freelance, I have no reason to feel "forced" to do anything. I've always understood that anyone could write anything into a contract and if the person who is to be bound by the contract doesn't like it, they can simply not sign it. I hope that we have rights beyond that, but I can't seem to find anything about it on the 'net.
Any suggestions/links/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Pete...I have a friend who is also a freelance writer and she told me that writing-world.com/rights is a good place for legal info for freelance writers. Hope that helps you with your questions. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link! It actually looks like a great site for me as a writer, in general, but it looks like it's not quite what I'm looking for. My problem is with writing copy, copyrights. But, like I said, I do appreciate the link as it will come in handy for everything else that I do.
ReplyDelete