Sunday, May 2, 2004

My iBook is Like the Kenneth Brannaugh Movie... Dead Again

Well, yesterday afternoon, about 23 hours ago, my iBook started giving me the same "can't write abc.txt to xyz folder" errors it was giving me before. I called Apple "Care" and gave me the run around. Apparently the guy who said effectively that the 3rd time would be the charm in getting my iBook swapped out was lying. The guy from Apple "Care," a guy called Gus, said that there is no set policy for how often things break or anything like that. But since the problem I was having now was different from before, the only thing he could authorize was a repair. I then asked him just when I would get a break on this and he told me I could try my luck with Customer Relations. Who are they? I thought that's who I was talking to. Gus clarified saying that I was talking to Apple Care and that Customer Relations could conceivably authorize a swap out of my machine.

Then, he tried to connect me with Customer Relations only to come back to tell me that they were closed on Saturday.

Which is, like, really, really funny, since I've worked the last three Saturdays in a row. In fact, I work EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK. Of course, the most recent Saturday my work was done on my PC because my iBook had flaked AGAIN... But that's all beside the point. Apple CR is closed on the weekends which just shows you how much they care about their customers. Also it shows you how much Gus was aware of when talking to me. The guy didn't even know that the people he was trying to send me to would be closed that day. Now, there's a well trained employee! Come to think of it, the "geniuses" at the Apple store weren't sure if Apple "Care" was open on the weekends or of what their hours were if they were open.

So, what does this all mean? It means that Apple "Care" is full of crap and can't be trusted. I get a literal different story out of each person I talk to. I'm now thinking about going back to a PC for my laptop. This is ridiculous and surprising, since their commercials make it seem like the Apple corporation can provide heaven on Earth through their computers. I remember several of those stupid commercials featuring Mac-users talking about how they "never looked back" after switching to a Mac - well, I'm looking back - BIG TIME.

The thing is, it's not because of the software, or even the hardware.

It's ALL the company's fault.

Look, I'm a PC guy from 1994. I understand that hardware and software malfunction. It happens, fine. But when three catastrophic failures occur in 7 months, that's a problem machine. At the very least, I deserve a refund.

When I get that refund, I'm going to have to think long and hard about staying with the Apple platform. Also, I'll be sure to pass on this story to anyone I know who is considering a Mac.

"It doesn't matter how good everyone says their machines are. All that matters is how the company treats you when you get that one lemon. The way they treat you is badly." That's what I will tell people.

No comments:

Post a Comment