Well, I got a call from Jennifer almost precisely 2 hours after I called her back. She tried immediately to sell me on a G4 iBook. She didn't even apologize, just saying something like "let's see if we can't take care of a replacement for you."
She went on to explain that she "had available" a 1ghz G4 iBook with 256 mbs of RAM and she said she'd even throw in a free airport extreme card to help compensate me for all I've been through.
:doze:
I politely asked her if she had read my email and after she said that she had, I told her that I'd really just prefer to have a refund at this point. She still didn't apologize, which I think she should have since in my email I clearly stated that it was a stacked PowerBook or a refund that I wanted and that's it. Typical friggin' corporate mentality. "He want's two things that are fairly reasonable? Well, offer him a third that requires less from us and see if he goes for it. After all, we're a corporation, we're still in charge here."
I'm not going to sit and listen to what they "have available." I want what I want. I don't do what a corporation tells me.
.....
Well, as I was just typing this entry up (I hadn't even clicked "add entry" yet), Jennifer called back and has told me that I'll be getting a refund for the total amount I spent back in September - including tax!
So, in short, this is all OVER.
Of course, the check will take something like 2 weeks to get to me because it has to go through "channels" but at this point, I'm happy it's just done.
Now I have to decide whether or not to stick with an Apple for my replacement machine.
What I'm thinking right now is that I probably will just save up a few hundred more dollars and go with a PowerBook. During this crazy ordeal, everyone's been telling me how this is SUCH a massive fluke. One guy I spoke with said he's been using Apples since 1988 and has *never* had a bad machine. I have three die-hard Mac friends I talk to all the time who tell me that they are shocked by two things:
1) That my iBook was so problem-ridden.
2) That the Apple company has been so lame to me.
So, for now, I'm leaning towards trusting them and giving Apple one more chance. I figure, if I go with a PC, I know what I'll get. Warts and all. If I have hope at all that there exists a better OS than Windows, I think I should pursue it. After all, I'm going to get this kind of treatment (lousy) from any company I go with, so the whole "voting with your dollar" is a useless concept. I have to have a computer.
Of course, if I have this trouble again, you can bet I'll be raising hell...
Congrats on the refund. Thank God that has been resolved. I didn't expect them to give you a refund for the amount paid.
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'm honestly a little surprised they included tax, too, but I am happy they did. It does seem right, to me. I'm just going to have to be patient waiting for the damn check to show up. It's May 21 today, so if I don't have a check by June 4, I'm going to have to be making a phone call to good old Jennifer and I won't lose Steve Jobs' email in the meantime, either.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your refund, Pete, and best of luck with whatever new machine you end up with...
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jen! I'm sure it won't be anywhere near as bad as my iBook experience was.
ReplyDelete