Wednesday, July 20, 2005

JAMES DOOHAN RIP

One of my favorite actors from my childhood and young adulthood has passed.

Doohan as Scotty in the 1960sDoohan in the Star Trek movies


Man, the things I could say about growing up watching James Doohan. He was the guy who, through his character on Trek, tought me to think on my feet, always lie about how long things will take me (say they'll take you much longer than you need so when you come in early you look like a miracle worker) and how to look at life with good nature in your heart. In fact, to this day, whenever my computer starts to give me trouble, like it's suddenly running slowly or otherwise taking a while to do something, I invariably say "Hellooo, computer." like Doohan said to a classic Mac in Star Trek IV.

He'll be missed but he had a good run. He was 85 and was born in 1920. Of course, he'll never be forgotten as one of the greatest fictional engineers ever to grace Television or movie screens. Thanks to Scotty, millions were inspired to do much more than they would have otherwise. Enter the world of science or just write, like me.

I remember meeting him once back in the early 1990s. As he signed my photo of him I was brave enough to tell him I did a pretty good Scottish accent. He asked me to do it for him but I told him I was too nervous. He just smiled and understood. It was a nice little moment.

Now I'm off to Scotland next week to get married.

James Doohan RIP.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment