Monday, July 4, 2005

MATANGO (1963)

Positive Experience or Entertaining? Definitely. Unfortunately, I was expecting a much cheesier movie--the alternate title for this film is Attack of the Mushroom People, but they never really attack.

Technically any good? The film is a little slow but does a lot with character. In fact this movie is much more a psychological thriller about what happens to people when they are stranded on an island with little to eat beyond these mushrooms that may or may not turn them into mushroom people (and cause some trippy hallucinations along the way!). Great acting and the dub wasn't even that offensive.

How did it leave me feeling? Disappointed only because I was expecting something cheesier. I still enjoyed it because it was a fairly smart movie.

Final Rating? SIYL (it's a smart movie, but there are still mushroom people in it!)

3 comments:

  1. That's a pretty sweet poster, actually! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's the best of the ones I found. Most of them were rather cheesy looking more indicative of the crappy alt title "Attack of the Mushroom People."

    But hey, anything with Mizuno on it is going to be something I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Hey Pete, you beat me to the punch on this one. Yeh, both kris and I were expecting something more monster-festy but I was pretty happy with the film overall. The special effects were great!

    ReplyDelete