So, I'm listening to the Democracy Now pod cast last night while running errands. As I've mentioned before, I'm not a huge fan of Amy Goodman, but I can't find a pod cast from Bill Moyers anywhere so if I want the best quality alt news available, I put up with her lackluster interview-style where instead of reasonable follow-up questions Goodman usually counters with things like "And Mr. So-and-so, you're response?" or "And Ms. Activist-Person, how do you respond?"
I feel like she'd fail my High School broadcast journalism class. The good thing about Amy Goodman is that she does get some fairly balanced guests on, which must be hard for a news show that has a reputation of being as liberal as they come. (A show demanding "Democracy NOW"?? How LEFTIE!!) What's even better is that the guests she gets are realy humans--some have thick accents and don't have anything like the "made-for-tv" feel that most guests on mainstream news shows have. So despite my dislikes I give her high points for other stuff and make sure to listen when I can.
That said, I usually listen a day late to DN broadcasts because they update at 3pm PT and my iPod doesn't end up back in its dock until 2am or so. So, last night I was listening to Goodman report on the Rove story. For a moment I forgot about my pod-cast-sync-schedule and thought "Why isn't she covering the London bombings?"
Then it struck me--the bombings are going to function as the perfect distraction from presidential strategist Karl Rove committing an act of treason by identifying the name of an undercover CIA agent.
Now, I'm not suggesting that the London bombings were sponsored or instigated by western entities specifically to function as a distraction. I'm just saying that the bombings will distract us. I just hope that Britons who were against the Iraq Attack stay against the Iraq Attack despite the bombings.
It does seem rather odd how the bombings came right on top of the Rove/CIA agent leak story coming to a head.
The bombings also occured as Bush's popularity plummets. And Rove himself attacked liberals while resurrecting 9/11 three weeks ago.
ReplyDeleteThat's a very good point.
ReplyDeleteI'm depressed at what it suggests...
free talk live, you should give these guys a listen and comment on them. They are now #1 podcast in the world.
ReplyDeleteJust a listener I don't make any money off this.
Yeah, I've heard of them--pretty fringey, but they are interesting to listen to. Like most fringey folks they do make a very good point every now and again. But thanks for posting about them.
ReplyDelete