I'm wondering if there's a way to save the podcasts I would DL on a daily basis. I have a whole mess of them that I listen to and they're all still on my iPod, but for some odd reason the URLs for the feeds are not on there and the idea of Googling for all of them is not pleasing. Also, since I'm mooching off TheWife's iBook until my birthday and Christmas present from my dad get here (a check for a new Mac Mini), I don't really want to clutter up this not-my-machine with stacks of podcasts.
So, what I'm doing instead is looking up my absolute favorite podcasts--the ones I simply don't want to miss. I thought maybe I could share them with you in case you were looking for cool stuff to listen to--and no, it's not all politics. So, here are my most favorite podcasts in no particular order (though the first one will obviously be the most important to me):
ThePete.Com - Yeah, big surprise :) But hey, it's my stuff! Every Monday is The 5 Minute Show, a 5 minute-long romp through my and my wife's wacky brains. Tuesday is ThePhlog, which is another 5 minute show of shorts, but is more of a personal log kind of thing. Then on Wednesday (when my minicam is working) there's TheVlog which is a bit like ThePhlog only longer and with pictures. I also tend to throw in some political and news stuff in there, too. Then on Thursday is TheXodcast, which is a 20 minute version of Huckle-Bug (see below) hosted by myself and TheWife. Then for the weekend we're hoping to add to our list of shows, a sock-puppet podcast (pupcast?). More on that when we come up with it. You can subscribe to the each show individually or just go with the site's main feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/thepetecom
DemocracyNow! - I know, again, big surprise. However, once you spend some time listening to alternative media you discover just how ridiculously candy-coated everything in the mainstream media is. While Amy Goodman and her co-host Juan Gonzales are far from the polished news anchors we're all used to, it's the content that makes the difference. I listen to the audio version of the show and sometimes I start to fall asleep because Amy and Juan aren't that engaging--but caffeine yourself up--their coverage is totally worth it. It is depressing, but even if you don't listen to the show for more than a couple days a week, you'll learn a helluva lot more about the world you live in than if you watch mainstream news for a month. I promise you this. Check out their site at DemocracyNow.Org or directly subscribe to their audio podcast or their video podcast.
Indieish.Com - this is probably the single coolest idea ever. See, there's this thing called "the Creative Commons." It comes from this old concept where there were certain things that belonged to everyone. Like the land, or rivers or oceans. This meant that we all had to take care of these common resources--hence the term "the commons." Now there's a movement that extends this to the idea of art--that art should be used, but taken care of, by everyone. This doesn't mean that the artist doesn't control their work to a certain degree--it's just not done in a way that is draconian or unfair to other folks who come along later and want to build on it (or those of us who simply want to view/listen to it). Indieish.Com is a site that offers a song-a-day from the music portion of the Creative Commons--as in, folks who contribute to the CC with their music. The songs are free and they're from all sorts of different genre(s?) so this is really my favorite podcast of all time. I've heard some truly awesome songs. Subscribe directly to their feed at http://indieish.com/feed
Huckle-Bug - HB is the audio podcast from an old scifi geek friend of mine and a friend of hers. They're called Bet and Stennie (my old friend is Stennie) and they just sit around talking about stuff and are damned entertaining. Movies, TV shows, music, whatever meets their fancy. The added bonus is that after you're done listening to the hour-long 'cast you feel like you've just hung out with a couple of really good friends. In all honesty, I find myself wishing the show was longer. Go fig. Anyway, you can check it out at hucklebug.blogspot.com or just subscribe directly to it at http://feeds.feedburner.com/Huckle-bug
Learn Japanese - this is an audio and video podcast put together by a British guy in Osaka, Japan. He gets a few of his Japanese and non-Japanese friends together for each episode to teach us, the listeners, words and phrases in Japanese. This is simply a MUST-LISTEN-TO for any Japan-o-phile. It's like Pimsleur with a soul. Check it out at http://japanese.libsyn.com/ or subscribe directly at http://japanese.libsyn.com/rss
Escape Pod - If you like science fiction prose, this is an awesome idea. Every week a scifi short story is read for you. They're not always great stories, but hey--if you don't like them, it's easy enough to just turn them off and wait until next week. Trust me, if you like scifi, this is a great podcast--plus, it's cool to support this type of media. Reading for when you don't have time to pick up a book--very cool. :)
OK, those are my absolute faves. I've got a whole slew more of podcasts on my iPod, like I said, but the list above are the ones I just can't live without. So, check 'em out and if you have a podcast you think I or other folks might dig, let me know about it. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment