Wow, I've had a crappy day. I effectively lost the lawsuit against me because I didn't know how to challenge the collection agency's claims. Gotta love a legal system that forces you to drop big bucks for a lawyer.
This is a wonderful society we live in where the poor can get sued for old debts illegally and because the poor don't know what they're doing they can end up with legal judgements against them.
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
...fuckers.
Oh and by the way, the way the law works is this:
1) dickhead collection agency serves you with papers claiming you owe them buckets of money even though they don't provide proof.
2) you don't actually owe the money because you don't ever remembering owing this company any money, so you blow off the whole thing (which is NOT what I did, I'll get into that in another post).
3) then get a summary judgement against you for the money and now you HAVE to pay them plus court and attorney's fees.
In America, anyone can sue you for any reason and if they get it wrong and you're not the person they're after, it doesn't matter. You HAVE to get a lawyer and you HAVE to fight it.
It seems in the civil courts you're guilty until proven innocent and thanks to the legal system being so bloody complicated you probably need to shell out cash for a lawyer. Hope you have some money in your savings account because this is that very, very rainy day.
OH wait, if you're American, odds are you don't have a savings account and you do have credit card debt. It's the circle of fucking life.
No comments:
Post a Comment