First off, that's definitely a fake. It's been pointed out that the font is wrong and blah-blah, of course, who cares. The point is, that's what the thing will look like according to Think Secret. So, why am I posting on this? Well, while I would buy it if it came out, I don't buy that it's going to come out.
OK, one thing no one's mentioned (that I've seen, anyway) is the orientation issue. The so-called "universal dock" would only work if this new "WidePod" would fit in it the traditional way, vertically--as in, the thin end down. But how do you watch your widescreen movies with it docked? Turn your head sideways? Sure, Apple could just turn around and sell ANOTHER dock that would allow for the WidePod to be docked horizontally (wide side down) but that, I think even Apple would agree, would be pretty damn lame. Also, I'm out of space on my desk at this point. A WidePod would take up too much space.
I would like to second the observations people have been making in various comments-sections of posts at TUAW.com that a touchscreen with a virtual clickwheel on it would bring mad-smudges. We humans have serious greasy fingers and if this thing actually gets released we'd all have seriously greasy ipods. Perhaps a stylus like the DS would help, but I doubt it since who wants to pull out a stylus every time you want to skip a track or turn up the volume? I'd believe in the touchscreen theory, however, if the clickwheel concept didn't require constant rubbing of your thumb on the screen--imagine the thick, permanent, circle-shaped streak!
I know that Jobs likes to make obsolete one model of iPod within minutes of releasing it, but I do think releasing a 6g within 6 months of the 5g would probably be bad for business--just a guess.
And lastly, I'd be pretty mad at Apple if they released it so soon--it took some serious skill in the dark arts for me to conjur the cash to buy a 5g. I think I better start putting together my voodoo doll of Steve Jobs made from Lego and chicken feathers right now...
While I believe it is possible that Apple has a "full-fledged" video iPod in the works that would have a bigger screen, I really doubt this is it or that it's going to be released any time soon.
Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless it recorded. That's the Holy Grail of handhelds at this point for me--video recording directly to mp4. There are devices that do this, but I've read reviews of many of them and often the quality is terrible and inconsistent. Apple would release something that would work solidly 99% of the time.
Man, I'd just about pee myself for a ViPodR. :D
No comments:
Post a Comment