Tuesday, February 7, 2006

REMIND ME TO NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER UPGRADE FIRMWARE FOR ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!!!

Wow, this is really friggin' annoying. I just upgraded the firmware for my ViPod and it fucked things up. If you've got a 60gig 5g iPod and are considering upgrading to firmware 1.1 DON'T DO IT!!

If you do, it's a good bet that any video you've encoded will have issues during playback. I'm SO friggin' mad about this because I used my ViPod every damn day and now I've got to deal with these "issues".

Basically what happens is this: Everything will be playing fine and then the video will just freeze for no apparent reason. Then after 30 seconds (or so) the picture continues in silence. If I hit the center button I can then scan back a few seconds and the video will play just fine from then on only to freeze again usually in another 30 seconds. Last night I was watching a 22 minute anime that gave me loads of trouble for the first 4 minutes or so but after that it played fine. I was trying to watch a 45 minute show tonight and it started freezing again.

I HATE how companies are so big on upgrading their 'ware all the time. I'm so SICK of it. JUST GET IT RIGHT THE FIRST DAMN TIME!!

Now I've got a $400 brick on my desk right next to my 3 year old $400 3g iPod I might as well be using for audio.

Yes, I can revert to the old firmware but not without wiping clean the entire iPod. You want to load 50+ gigs of audio and video back on this thing?

For more on this [http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=81c957fa908e4911a1e4634d2ffe3e16&threadid=143446|check out the thread] at iLounge.com.

Come on, Apple--fix this problem, already!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG I had the same problem.

    Thanks a million, Apple. >:[

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, never ever upgrade your firmware ever again!

    ReplyDelete