No, I won't just remember you as Mr. Miyagi in the
Karate Kid movies. I'll remember you as a great role model for people of all races. I grew up watching you as Arnold on
Happy Days and when I did see the first
Karate Kid film, you were so very different from Arnold that I didn't even realize both were played by the same guy. In the coverage of your death I've learned that you were a stand up comedian for a long time before you became an actor and that you would tell race jokes that made fun of yourself and the Japanese culture. I think that's perfectly cool because in a lot of ways we all take ourselves, our cultures (and each other's cultures) much too seriously.
I also didn't know you were nominated for an Oscar for your role as Mr. Miyagi. An Oscar nomination, several great roles, a long career and a family--you have a lot to be proud of and we have a lot to remember you by. I hope your passing was peaceful.
Thanks for changing our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment