Wednesday, November 2, 2005

FERTILE WOMEN MORE ATTRACTVE

A new study has found that women who have a lot of estrogen in their system (or oestrogen as they spell it in the UK), are actually more attractive.

Yeah.

Um, so, science has worked out what "attractive" even is?

This sounds like a study done by some shallow-ass chauvinistic scientists, to me. Let's check out a clip from [http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article324101.ece|an article] at Independent.co.uk:
A study has shown that females with high levels of the sex hormone oestrogen have prettier faces and are more likely to catch the attention of the opposite sex. Make-up such as foundation and powder can mask the effect, however.
What the hell? What if your definition of "prettier" is different from someone else's? So, a woman straight off the boat from Africa, whom a klan member might not find attractive would actually look more pretty to him if she were jacked up with estrogen?

I doubt it.

Let's have a little more from the article:
Psychologists at St Andrews University asked volunteers to rate a selection of young women's faces for attractiveness, health and femininity. Those with higher levels of oestrogen came top with men and women.
Wait--isn't St. Andrews University in the UK? OK, so the study should have claimed that fertile women are more attractive to British men. The Brits are well known for prefering flat chested women with bad teeth, right? I mean, why else would you have a family in the UK?

Obviously, I'm kidding--but you get my point. We all view "attractive" as something different. How many dudes want to do Pamela Anderson? Lots--but none of them are me. Angelina Jolie, however, is a different story. I know straight women who want to do Angelina Jolie. However, I also know at least one straight man who doesn't think Angelina is all that. Yes, I accused him of being gay and he insisted he was not.

The point is, what the hell's "attractive??" Even better, don't these "scientists" have better things to study than when in a woman's cycle the typical, bland male Brit finds a female Brit the most attractive? Aren't their still diseases to cure?

One last bit from that article:
Miriam Law Smith, who led the study, said: "Women are effectively advertising their general fertility with their faces. Our findings could explain why men universally seem to prefer feminine women's faces.

"In evolutionary terms, it makes sense for men to favour feminine fertile women; those that did would have had more babies."

Well, that just makes no sense--a man who wants more babies?? You're all wet with this one, folks...

2 comments:

  1. I like this post, Pete. You're one of the good ones (men, I mean). =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought the Nyquil was starting to make me a little loopy...

    Well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete