I know the title of this entry sounds bizarre, but this is just what one amateur scientist believes and I can't say that her theory is unrealistic. Now, I'm not a scientist, but to me, certain things just make sense while others don't. I'm of a more simple mindset that says the more basic an explanation is the more likely it is to be accurate--especially when it comes to religion.
So, here's the scoop. Remember how ancient pharohs would die and, according to their beliefs, ride on this ferry boat to rebirth as the next pharoh? Well, Judy King sat down and read all of the ancient Egyptian texts relating to this process and believes that the process we have assumed to be religious, actually describes horizontal DNA transfer--this process is real and accepted by scientists. However, King's theory (or her "Thesis of Isis" as she calls it) is not. The idea is that when the ancient Egyptians refer to a pharoah's soul, they refer to his DNA, and instead of a ferry boat, the DNA rides a virus to another life form where it is implanted and reborn. Isis is also just a metaphor for lactose and the whole "rebirth" thing is simply the DNA "coming back to life" in its new host. The only really new idea here is that DNA can be implanted in other lifeforms after the death of its original source. This does make sense, since it's been theorized to be possible for decades (or longer).
You can read more about this theory in [http://www.thothweb.com/content-288.html|a post] at ThothWeb.com, though, as is typical among alt thinkers on the web, the explanation isn't that clear. King explains you can visit her website http://isisthesis.com where she explains more, but her site is difficult to navigate (let alone read) and I suspect she'd just like us all to buy her book.
Still, it's an interesting theory--and frankly, makes a heck of a lot more sense to this Atheist than religion.
Hell, what if the basic story of Osiris, Isis and Horus were even more simple than King thinks?
The gist of the original Osiris, Isis and Horus is that Osiris' evil brother killed Osiris and cut him up into pieces (sorry, there's more to this than I can recall--I'm no Egyptologist). Isis puts him back together, creating Horus, his son. Couldn't this just be a really convoluted version of saying Osiris and Isis, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G?
So, they get it on and using bits of DNA from Osiris (aka his parts, aka his sperm) Isis creates Horus?
Regardless, this would suggest the ancient Egyptians had an understanding of what we would know as modern science.
Now we get into a shady area here. As you may know there are a great many people who want to believe that humanity was once much smarter than it is now. I'm probably one of these people, but I try to avoid letting it bias me to believe any of these types of theories.
Sure, it'd be great to learn that ancient Egyptians knew about modern science. It would force us to redefine how human culture has developed over the millennia. Why would they not just explain DNA as it is? Because they could have been protecting their own power--the same reason Dick Cheney would rather we be scared of Al Qaeda getting it's hands on a single nuke, as opposed to the reality that even a single nuke would do very little to remove the USA from the face of planet Earth.
So, do I believe King's theory? I'm an Atheist--I don't belive in almost anything. My jury is still out on most of these types of theories. Still, as I said, I think it makes more sense than just assuming that the ancient Egyptians were just believing in a completely false afterlife. It also makes sense to me that we "modern types" would assume that religions from 5 thousand years ago would be primitive and stupid compared to the religions of modern times. ;) Which is ironic since modern religions have borrowed liberally from ancient ones. Hey, didn't Moses grow up Egyptian?
Anyway, so just some food for thought. Take it or leave it.
No comments:
Post a Comment