Sunday, January 23, 2005

What I Learned About Doing a 24 Hour Comic

Whoa... my brain is still heavy...

The 24 Hour Comic was fun--but we didn't make it. None of us were able to work fast enough or have enough stamina to finish all 24 pages. We all got bogged down with various different aspects of our individual comics. I took too much time writing mine, Jen worried too much about detail and story (silly person!!), Tim got mired in details, too, and Siskita, while definitely getting the closest of any of us to the 24 page goal, kept sweating where her story was taking her.

All in all, however, it was an immensely positive experience. While it was just the four of us, we had lots of support from friends. So, I'd like to thank Josh for stopping in twice to check on our progress, Britt for having coffee with us and saving the plot of my comic (God needed some cheese for a sandwich--BRILLIANT!!), Asante and his beautiful girlfriend Maya for stopping by twice to brighten a couple of quiet moments. Thanks be to Gary for his cheerful wishes of good luck (glad I could finally get that DVD to you!) and thanks to Anime John for the well wishes (and for not getting too involved when we started bagging on the neo-cons for a bit--you Republican, you!)

OH and last but not least, BIG thanks to the guys at Boba Loca, Ryan, Izzet and John (the boss man) for not only letting us spend 10am-12:30am there, but for being enthusiastic and supportive of us all day long.

THANKS, GUYS!!

The good news is, we're going to do this again next month. HOWEVER, I think I'm going to change the format a bit. I think it should just be a "Comic Drawing Day," instead of a 24 Hour Comic. I think none of us were efficient or experienced enough to actually produce 24 pages in 24 hours. I think each of us should still be required to set a definite page-number-goal to reach, but 24 pages? That's a lot for a handful of non-professional artists like us.

So, here's what I propose, in 3 weeks, on February 12th, we get together again, at 10am on Saturday and spend all day drawing comics. We start promptly at 10am and don't stop until Boba Loca closes at midnight or later. (Yes, we can stop for food and general breaks, obviously.) Then, we do it again in March and April and so on. If we find ourselves itching to continue working after Boba Loca closes, we can continue for the full 24 hours--but honestly, I think we need to work up to this level. Hell, it hasn't even been 24 hours since we started yet and my brain is still heavy!

All right, that's it for now--I did have ThePeteCam up during the adventure and will dig through all 1300 pics and post the hightlights. I know at one point I totally fell on my ass and I'm sure we have more than a couple shots of our various friends visiting us.

OK, enough out of me. I've got one more page to pencil and 7 more to ink and I'll be "done" with my comic from yesterday :)

10 comments:

  1. You are beyond being an idiot!! Ban me all ya want, but long as you live here in the good ole USA, and live off of the fat of this land where soldiers and the government PROTECT YOU, you need to learn that theres others who disagree with you and WILL LET YOU KNOW!! Go ahead and keep running from me hippie, smoke another one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the idiot? You're the guy who posts a political comment to a blog entry that has exactly jack and shit to do with politics. I'm the idiot and YOU'RE the guy who can't have an intelligent argument with some one about said politics? I'M the idiot and YOU are the guy who represents the guys running the show in all three branches of the government?

    Boy, you guys who are in charge of everything must have a lot of confidence in your own standpoints to go defending them all the time. OH and Mr. Freedom, in case you didn't understand what I just said, it means if you Repubs are so confident that your way is the right way, then why do you waste your time dealing with "hippies" like me? Who cares what we think? Hm??

    For those of you just tuning in, this bright-eyes posted to a MoBlog pic of mine that I took the other night of a banner that read "IMPEACHMENT IS PATRIOTIC". Seems, he's got a problem with freedom of speech when he doesn't agree with the speech. So, he's allowed to tell me what he thinks and I have to listen to him--but can I tell him and have him listen? Apparently not.

    I'm not running from you, you idiot. I'm right here.

    And do your OWN research, nimrod. I'm not a hippie. I don't drink, don't smoke tobacco or pot and don't do any other drugs. Hell, I barely partake in caffeine any more! So, unless you're addicted to having your ass handed to you, I suggest you find some other poor sap's website to pee all over.

    OR maybe you should just GET YOUR OWN WEBSITE AND LEAVE MINE TO ME.

    Nothing like bullies picking on the side that lost the election...

    You, the brave Republican didn't even have the balls to leave me your real email address. Very clever and respectable, Mr. Freedom. You'll pee in my front yard, but will you let me pee in yours? Now we see who's got the spine and who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented here because it wouldnt let me in your side comment part. I hate leaving my email because of all the spam, but here ya go...but if not leaving an email is spineless, then what do you call what you did? You banned me from your comment section here and at your blog for disagreeing with you and trying to explain to you how car crashes and 9/11 terrorist attacks are two completley different things. You ran from an argument twice and was crying "stop bullying me". And you call this peeing in someones yard? Dude, Im far from being a bully, no interest in it at all. But you bother me boy when you have all of this, this huge website and stuff dedicated to hating Bush and republicans but you run from arguments. I dont give a shit anymore, I cant understand idiot logic like yours and could care less in trying anymore. Besides you're the spineless fucktard for banning me from your side comments here and on your blog....and if you had a yard, trust me I wouldnt pee in it, but if you're standing there throwing retarded accusations, I would argue back whether or not you cried and called me a bully.

    I never attacked or tried to prevent your freedom of speech, but the same CANNOT be said for you. You're a bigot and you need to grow some thicker skin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt even waste my time reading all of that, not even worth it....some audience you have here, huh? Damn what a pitiful empty "yard", lol. I wonder why ^_^

    I guess you run all of this to see and hear yourself babble.....whatever floats your boat I guess. I thought you had some big thing here at first but now I know better.

    Oh, ya, you dont run or hide stuff right? Yet you play "victim" and you're claiming I said you have no right to freedom of speech? Well you showed that you're not only a bigot, but you're also a hipocrit because I ran across your moblog the other day and noticed you erased mine and all of the other comments who disagreed with ya on that one pic. Whats wrong man? Are you really lacking that much testicular fortitude?....*claps*...Bravo my friend, BRAAAAAAAAVO!! You really exhibit a hell of a lot of integrity by acting that way...*still sadly clapping for you* You had one person agree with you and left that one LONELY comment up out of the rest of them.

    Pathetic.

    Wow jokers like you amaze me!! You're so deeply soaked in leftist propaganda that you dont even realize it. I feel sorry for you, I really do because I dont think there is any hope for your misery. Oh well, shit happens. Try to have a nice day pal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right, since you seem to have trouble with the "big" words I like to use, I'll keep my reply short.

    If I'm just some lefty loser, why do you continue to come back to this site? Have you such an empty and vacant existence that you have no other joy in your life than returning time after time to tell me how wrong I am? Do you have so little fullfilment in your life that you must get it but proselytizing the Right Way to disbelievers like myself?

    I'm not a victim and I'm not running from you.

    You are the loser.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh get yer panties out of a wad. Im not interested in arguing who is the biggest loser....I probably am, hehehe......but I must admit that you put more effort into it, lol.
    But since I am one of your very few fans/visitors of this site, I will say that I enjoyed the comic drawings you did. We have a difference in political opinion, but I will give credit where credit is due. You have a nice site here and you seem to be very artistic with your life. Good job Bro. Maybe I will check in here from time to time just to see what your disagreements are with our president. No hard feelings bro, not from my side anyways...........and with that, I would like to say....

    Congratulations Iraq!! Welcome to democracy! THANK YOU for allowing 90% of your country to participate in a controlled election environment that benefits your freedoms of choice. The other 10% is learning and will catch on. Your civil war has been a long time coming! You have made a mark on history and I thank you for allowing us AMERICANS to assist you in your freedoms and democracy.

    Godspeed Pete :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiss... my... independent... ass...

    We'll see how democratic Iraq is when the insurgency doesn't end. You forget, Iraq isn't filled with sheep like you, here in America. They won't go away just because a single election occured.

    Trust me on that.

    But, I'm going to ban you anyway, because I don't have time to waste on people like you. This is my site and I run it. You had your say now it's time to move on. You and your brand of ignore-everyone-else-listen-to-me conversations aren't conducive to the growth of anyone (even yourself) and that's one of my little unwritten requirements of people who post more than a few times to my site. Yes, it's not written anywhere, but it's my site, so if you don't like it, get your own and make fun of me there. I don't really care.

    I'm not "running from you" by banning you. I'm ignoring you not unlike the way you ignore my reasonable arguments. Nor is it unlike how you ignore the up to 100,000 Iraqi civilians dead or the fact that you've been lied to by Bush.

    So, good bye and I hope you decide to open your mind a little.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw you hurt my feelings....youre mean....

    Well, thats typical of your kind, ban people who challenge you on your idiot logic...
    lol, at least you said goodbye

    Jesus loves you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, nice going rooting for the insurgency (terrorists) in Iraq. You showed your true colors. If you want to hold up people like that so high and praise them so much, why dont ya go join them? Oh thats right, youve got this thing called a yellow streak.

    Dont worry about the ban, ya freak, I wont be back. I definitely list you up there in my top 5 of one of the most idiot losers Ive ever met online....but I still feel sorry for your misery.....enjoy the next 4 years if you can, lol. George Bush is your President and you're forced to deal with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some one is having a little problem understanding English. You Republicans are dumber than you look--but smart enough to switch IPs. Damn, you're desperately lonely, aren't you? What sad state are you in where you aren't capable of leaving well enough alone? If you weren't so obviously close minded and willfully ignorant, I'd have sympathy for you. You're one of those people that is simply desperate to believe that everything in the world is just fine, laws don't matter, morals don't matter and that the ends justify the means. With every post you make here you prove, yet again, how truly lost you are. With every IP you conjur I'll just ban you again, but I won't be responding to your posts any more. As I said in my last post, I have no time for you. I have important things to do.

    ReplyDelete