Thursday, January 27, 2005

FREE iPOD, FREE NINTENDO DS, FREE--wait--WHAT?

OK, in a nutshell? I'm curious to prove once and for all if those "free iPod/gaming system/flat screen/etc" offers are for real. I'm a total gadget freak, so I'm understandably curious. If you want to help, head to The Conga Line at ThePete.Com to get started. If you don't know what all of this is about, please read on below. Don't be stupid--go into this educated so you don't get snookered like I almost did.

Some Background:

This might just be one of the biggest culture jams there is. I'm sure you've seen the banner ads around the 'net telling you to "shoot the bee" or "whack the mole" or "smash the Republican" and win a free iPod (OK I made that last one up). Well, I did some research and surprisingly enough, the deal is actually legit--almost. First off, people do claim to be getting their free iPods. The Gratis Network, the people who are running this bizarre system, have even taken to giving away free flatscreens, free handbags, and now even free desktop PCs, Mini iMacs and game systems, like my personal lust-object, the Nintendo DS.

There's Always a Catch:

What's the catch? Good question. The catch is that you have to complete a single "offer" from one of the companies they have a partnership with. This can be signing up for a service for a month, trying out a product, getting a credit card or other such simple tasks. Hang on--the catch isn't over yet! Once you complete one of these offers, you then need to get X number of more people to complete an offer, as well. These are called "referrals."

The X number depends on the price of the item you're going for. In the case of a flatscreen you need to get 8 people to complete offers, for the Nintendo DS you need just 4 people. The iPod needs 5 referrals.

The catch really isn't over there, either. There seem to be at least a few things to watch out for. Mainly, some of the offers seem to have catches, too. For instance, I signed up for the Blockbuster Online trial. Back when I did it, you could try it free for two weeks and then it was $20 a month after that. As long as I completed the two week offer, I would get credit for a free iPod (I'd still have to get 5 more people to complete an offer, of course). So, I waited until 11pm the last day of my two weeks and cancelled my trial. This way, I'd avoid being charged that $20 for the first month. Well, I never got credit for completing the offer.

I emailed the Gratis Network people and they said that I could get credit if I showed them the cancelation email I got. Of course, I didn't get one, so... I wasn't sure how to proceed. I'm still not.

Free Nintendo DS? Uh....

Ever the hopeful gadget-freak, I decided to give the system a try again, this time I signed up for a free gaming system--a Nintendo DS. I figured I'd blog about it and see if anyone else was curious to give this a try with me. I've already completed an offer for a day-long trial on this auction website and only paid a dollar to do it. Here's where another problem arose, however. The auction site the offer was with usually charges $40 a month for access to their auctions (ye--$40! --Don't ask me!) and the way their offer was worded made me think I had a month to use the day trial. It read:
Today's charge is: $1.00 for a 1 day trial period.
Membership Renews Automatically at $39.95 every 1 month Until Cancelled.
Of course, the next day I was charged $40.

Luckily, I took screen caps of every page as I went so I had proof that any misunderstanding was their fault. (I recommend that everyone do this, just in case.)

I immediately emailed the auction site and explained that I was confused about the wording and thought I had a month to decide if I wanted to pay the full price. I was even honest about only trying their service because they had the offer through Gratis Network. Well, I am very happy to report that they actually refunded my money AND I got credit for the free Nintendo DS.

Want to Join the Conga Line?

So, here's where I stand now. I've installed a "Conga Line" management system here at the site. What it does is automate the process of getting refferals for those of us who want to take advantage of these Gratis Network offers. You go to the Conga Line page and click on the top referral link in the list (assuming there is one for a free device you want--if not, add one yourself). Clicking that link brings you to the Gratis Network page for the device the referral is for.

Right now, I have my own referral there for a free gaming system. Once you sign up at the Gratis Network free gaming system page (you don't have to choose the Nintendo DS) and complete an offer, click on the "refer friends" link. On the next page you see will be a referral link for you. Highlight it and copy it. Head back to the Conga Line at ThePete.Com and click on "add a link." Then you'll be prompted to enter your screen name, password and referral link. Click submit and then just wait. Other people will (in theory) visit my site, or find this post through a search engine, click through to the Conga Line and click on your referral link and do the same thing you did.

You'll need to check the Gratis Network's free gaming system page for your status. It will tell you when the four people have completed their offers. When that happens, you'll place your order for your (reasonably) free gaming system with them. Once you do that, return to the Conga Line again and click "edit link." Then you'll be able to update the system and your referral will move off the "needs referrals" list and onto the "Pending users" list. When you get your system (which does happen, so I'm told) come back again and update the system one last time to let us know your game system showed up.

You can check out more about the Gratis Network at their blog, strangely enough.

Watch Your Back!

One thing I should be clear about is this: by signing up for these offers, ThePete.Com bares no responsibility if you get charged $60 by Video Professor when you thought you'd only get charged $6. It's your job to read the fine print and watch your own back. I am completely willing to give you moral support and give you suggestions on how to deal with these companies, but your actions are ultimately your responsibility.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound preachy, but I am doing anything BUT endorsing the Gratis Network or any of the companies they have partnerships with. I'm simply in this to get free gadgets--does that make me a socialist or a conservative--it's so hard to tell these days!

Watch this space for more on this as events warrant.

19 comments:

  1. There is two offers that I though i would point out to you. One is a free photo ipod in which if anyone is interested in signing up for me, i will pay the first person who completes an offer $20 and then the seconds person who completes an offer $10 through paypal.My link is: http://www.freephotoiPods.com/
    The other offer is through electrogift and you can receive numerous things including a free ipod, minimac, or even a plasma tv. You can complete an offer using 123home and you don't need a credit card. If you sign up for me and complete an offer i will post your link on my high traffic site. My refferal link is : http://www.electrogift.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. No offense, Mike, but your offer sounds like a scam to me. I'm not saying it is--I've only given your site a quick glance, but offering money to people to do this? There's no place to leave negative feedback if you don't pay up.

    Just so everyone knows, I am not endorsing the above guy or his plan. I am interested only in finding out if the Gratis Network is for real. I don't know about those other folks including "electrogift." Follow Mike's links at your own peril, folks! Do not blame ThePete if it turns out to be a scam-a-rama. If anyone knows that this is a scam, please post here so I can delete the above comment. I'm tempted to delete it anyway, since it's technically spam... gonna think about it for a bit.

    UPDATE: All right, to bring Mike's comment above into line with ThePete.Com policy (stated clearly above the comment form) I've sliced out the referral-parts of his links above. I still recommend following his links with caution. Of course, I think that's always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.o.boxnm291
    nima-accra
    Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABDULMALIK .M. RAZAK .R.March 25, 2005 at 8:13 AM

    p.o.boxnm291
    nima-accra
    Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a reason you posted your mailing address at all, let alone twice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been very curious about this, and at the urgings of my exuberant 13 year old son, I decidedly thought, nothing ventured nothing gained...however, word of caution about jumping in blindly.. before jumping, I googled electrogift.com, and found this web site is receiving higher comments than I originally thought....across the board,(take note that I found your site through that particular search as well..)..
    I will send all of the 5 friends notice as to why I am going forth, and they will be prone to follow suit...who wouldn't want to have a great b-day gift to give to their kid? Free? Well, no..AOL is giving me my first month of service for free, and after 30 day trial, I will be charged...like you I am setting the alarm to go off prior to the thirty day free period, and then will cancel...but, I will have to depend upon my friends to sign up also...
    Check out what was sent to me..http://www.XXXXXXXXXXX.com/?rid=13678
    Interesting, of all of the folks I have met out there who wanted to solicit this site, the one I went through didn't offer $...he just said, "hey heres my link,. use it.. blahdeblah... use your head, I just got my sony psp...yadayada"...I think it is a relatively sound temptation...not unlike gambling. so...since the nearest gaming place is about three hours from home...what the hell...Have a good one.

    LINK EDITED OUT by ThePete No non-informational links in comments please! Thanks! (Use the Conga Line for free stuff referrals.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah, since I am here...you could go through my referral link if you'd like...www.XXXXXXX.com/?rid+13678...thanks, Jennifer


    LINK EDITED OUT by ThePete. No non-informational links in comments please! Thanks! (Use the Conga Line for free stuff referrals.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. dangit...that's XXXXXX.com/?rid=13678




    LINK EDITED OUT by ThePete No non-informational links in comments please! Thanks! (Use the Conga Line for free stuff referrals.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're supposed to use the Conga Line for these types of referal links. I am going to have to edit your links out out of fairness to those who already signed up on the Conga Line. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why pay money? with a credit card, when you have an alternative to get an ipod totally free just over a matter of time. To be 13 years or older and reside in Canada or the US. Well, your prayers have been answered, go to www.XXXXXX.net for a guide on how to do JUST THAT!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huge Ass is right--man, do you know how to read instructions? If you're trying to make money, don't do it with my site. If you're trying to get people to sign up with your referrals, go to thepete.com/gratis and get in line, bitch! Don't try to make money/get free stuff by using my site. Only I get to do that. I edited your URLs so that they go nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, at the top of this page you said "The catch is that you have to complete a single “offer” from one of the companies they have a partnership with." but with http://www.ipodsgiveaway.co.uk/ (UK only) there have been no offers or surveys i have had to take part in (yet), all i have to do is sign up and refer people to do the same. Do you think there will be no offers, or will they come once i get all the referrals needed?

    Check out the site ("Sam - no surveys or payment etc, any age.....just sign up" in the referrals section of this site) and let me know what you think.

    Thanks

    Great site btw

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the complement but, some people can't read--Sorry, Sam--you put your referral link into a comment, but I caught it and edited your link. If you can't follow the rules, (stated clearly above the comment form) you get edited or banned. Thanks for the link, though, I'm sure my readers from the UK will be interested in checking that site out. Sorry, it's just that if you go posting your referral links in comments, the people who have followed the rules and posted their referral links on the conga line will have wasted their time. This isn't just me being a control freak, it's me making sure I'm fair to the people interested in taking part in this project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it alright to post other conga line sites?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, sure--that's cool. I'm happy to help in general, but posting referral links to this page undercuts what the conga lines are there for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Pete, I love the site, I really want to make one like this too, but I dont know much anything about it or how to so if you could email me Ive got some questions. Also there is a new network that has been proven legit: the GustoNetwork. They have free psps, flatscreens, sonos (worth $1500) and some others and many of there offers are actually FReE, you dont even pay shipping. Just lettin you know so hit me with an email man. Thanks later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, we've completely automated a conga line which takes people randomly off the list and uses their referrals. Now there is no waiting to be the top of the line

    http://www.congamate.com - email me with any comments!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've checked out that site and it seems like it might not be legit. The forums they say are theirs are hosted at a different site and they have very little info on the main page. Feel free to use it, but don't expect it to be any more useful than the conga line here.

    I've actually given up on the idea of the Gratis Network. I've gotten ten people to sign up using my referral but NONE have completed an offer. This scam make work for some, but for me it's been a complete and total waste of time. I'll be posting more on this soon. Keep an eye on my main page for more on this.

    ReplyDelete