Wednesday, October 13, 2004

ASHCROFT WARNS OF ANOTHER ATTACK--SERIOUSLY

In my travels around the Internet, I come across some bizarre stuff. Truly bizarre. Did you know there's a guy in the UK who thinks the world is run by shape-shifting lizards? One time I found a web site that claimed it had the skeleton of a hitherto-unknown life form that to some resembled some sort of demon. It was found in South America and tests were being done on the strange bones. After a day or two, the site posted an update--it turns out that it was a cat.

However, I do stumble across some stories that seem to have a lot more credibility. One time, last March during the weeks following the Iraq Attack, I and a handful of posters over at the GNN.tv forum, were researching a story that seemed to be telling us that WWIII was imminent thanks to some advanced intel that had been leaked onto the 'net, the fact that Russian diplomats had been wounded (ambushed) by USUK forces in Iraq just after they moved into Baghdad, and a good number of navies in that area of the world (including Russia's navy) had set to sea, all claiming to be doing so for "exercises." Of course, in the end, that's the most dramatic thing that happened. Considering that most believe WWI began thanks to a single man being assassinated, I think it was a reasonable assumption that we were looking at the possibility of a serious mess on the horizon.

Luckily, that didn't happen.

Still, you stumble across these things and you wonder "what if?"

Remember the above when considering what follows below. It comes to us courtesy of SeanBonner.Com by way of BoingBoing.Net. It's a letter from a government-type that's supposed to be warning everyone that another 911-sized terrorist attack will occur in the weeks leading up to 11/2. Bonner explains that it comes from a friend who has a job that "makes certain Police Department memos things he needs to take note of." Check it out:
Subject: FW: Terrorist Attack on US Soil is Imminent Importance: High

LAW ENFORCEMENT SENSITIVE

At the meeting of the Southern District of the Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council (ATAC) that was held yesterday in Houston, US Attorney Michael Shelby informed the group that a terrorist attack of 09/11/01 proportions was going to be carried out on US soil within the next 6 weeks.

Mr. Shelby stated that on 09/13/04, US Attorney General John Ashcroft had a conference call with all 93 US Attorneys, an event which is extremely rare. The US Attorneys were informed that without a doubt an attack was going to be perpetrated in the US within the next 6 weeks, prior to the elections. Mr. Shelby urgently requested that all law enforcement be aware of any situation that may be out of the ordinary and report the activity immediately. Mr. Shelby also requested that we get the word out to patrol officers and detectives to talk to their informants and report anything odd or remotely suspicious. Mr. Shelby ended this warning by saying that unless we get a bit of "luck" and the attack can be detected and prevented, that another attack of 9/11 scale will be carried out.

Please disseminate to all of your law enforcement contacts ASAP.

New Mexico Investigative Support Center

Direct Line: 505-541-7000
Fax: 505-541-7006


John E. Vinson, Director

Bonner goes on to quote a CNN article that:
Sen. Mark Dayton of Minnesota issued a statement Tuesday, citing a "top-secret intelligence report on our national security" provided to congressional members by Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee.

"Based upon that information," Dayton wrote, "I have decided to close my office in the Russell Senate Office Building until after the upcoming election.

Over at BoingBoing.Net, one reader writes in and explains that he tried calling the numbers at the bottom of the letter but essentially got nowhere beyond learning that the letter is basically authentic.

Check out the source posts for this entry at SeanBonner.com and BoingBoing.Net.

What do I think? Damned if I know. Since the day of 911, I've felt that terrorism doesn't work without the "terror" part. Of course, I also have this idea that 911 was probably allowed to happen by US authorities for a reason. So, unless you can think of a reason for another terrorist attack to occur, I don't think there will be one. Of course, I can easily come up with several--like Bush needing a nice boost in the polls before 11/2.

In the end, as with all of this crap (politics, etc) you should be the final judge of what you believe. So, make up your own mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment